Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:23:43 AM

Author Topic: If you have noise issues this might be worth a try  (Read 33083 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: If you have noise issues this might be worth a try
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
Yes, it has exactly the same effect.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
Well thank you very much.

I was having some very intermittent problems, nothing i could easily reproduce.

So i did this modification.

Now i get lots of problems, but its the same problem in that Mach locks up, the ST light change and the only way out is to cut power to the ST

There is no error message from the ST until i cut power.

Any Clues
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:20 AM »
Sounds like you have noise problems. Often the culprit is the spindle motor or the wiring layout. Electric motor put out a lot of interference, especially when starting or stopping. A relay switching an inductive load, like a motor, will also produce a lot of interference. Try running your machine without the spindle motor running and see what happens.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »
Jeff,

Is there a way to supress the noise of a 3ph 2HP induction motor? I know you sell some motor line supressors, but will those work on my motor or might there be something else?

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 11:01:40 AM »
Sounds like you have noise problems. Often the culprit is the spindle motor or the wiring layout. Electric motor put out a lot of interference, especially when starting or stopping. A relay switching an inductive load, like a motor, will also produce a lot of interference. Try running your machine without the spindle motor running and see what happens.

Thanks Jeff, the point i was making doing the mod to reduce noise actually made things worse.

I looked at my code at the point of lock up and it is the motor and coolant turn off point M5 & M9

So what would i need to fix it, my wiring is very neat there are no power and signal wires running together.

Thanks

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
There are three phase line filters as well, they will cost about $100 USD or so. How are you turning the motor on/off? Are you using a VFD on it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »
Phil
 what size motor is it, or rather  whats the max current?
I have a 3 phase line filter here that I could give you a loan of to see if it helps, would save you buying one to find out it doesnt.

Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
There are three phase line filters as well, they will cost about $100 USD or so. How are you turning the motor on/off? Are you using a VFD on it?

Yes, VFD, Hitachi SJ200 sized for my motor. I'm just trying to figure what might be causing Mach3 to eStop VERY randomly. I run a 60k line program and it runs for an hour and a half and suddenly it estops. No M5 or M9, nothing near where it estops, just a bunch of X/Y/Z moves. Last two times it did it it happened near the end of those 60k lines!!

Not trying to hijack the thread, was just wondering about these noise filters.

Hood, if you were asking me and not Phil (?), it's a 6.2 Amp motor, but I'm wondering if Jeff is pointing me at the fact that the VFD is doing this filtering already? Besides, shipping to the US from Scotland would seem prohibitive. Thanks for the offer. I'd just buy one if I need to.
--
Tom

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
VFDs are even noisier than a regular induction motor. Wiring layout is VERY critical, you can even get 'VFD' cable to run from the VFD to the motor that is really well shielded. Go here: http://www.soigeneris.com/Documentation-content.aspx and look for the 'Installation Tips' in the SmoothStepper section. Also make sure you are NOT pulling the file from a USB drive, a network file, etc...

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
Hood thanks for the offer.

Hood & Jeff i think the problem is only related to the Coolant pump 240v single phase its the original pump maybe 20+ years old.

It only seems to happen when turning off the coolant pump. The Spindle motor and VFD are new and not the usual cheapo stuff

I have no idea of the amp draw of the pump its not listed in manual and its too difficult to see without dragging the machine out

The pump is turned off by Mach3 using a 10amp relay

Hood if it may help my problem i would be willing to try it

Can i just put a cap across the motor if so what would i need

Thanks
Phil