Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:09:04 PM

Author Topic: Jogging  (Read 8644 times)

Jogging
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
   How does one jog in the step mode?  I can jog fine in continuous mode.  If I
switch over to step mode, nothing happens except that it kills all jogging.
I have to reset before cont jogging will work again.  I am using the latest Mach and latest MSM.
  Larry
Re: Jogging
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
Larry,

The MSM jogging controls (should) work just like they do in any mach screen set (as the functionality is implemented internal to Mach).
The Jogging controls are described in section 2.2.3.5 of the MSM user manual.

For all jog modes (Cont, Step, or MPG) the Jogging button must be on (green).

Cont mode causes movement as long as an arrow key is held down.

Step mode causes one movement each time an arrow key is pressed. The amount of movement is the value shows in the DRO next to the step button in the jogging panel. For example if this DRO shows 0.5000, and Step mode is active, and the jogging button is on, then each time you press the "right arrow" key you will get 0.5000 of movement in the X+ direction.

So let's check first things first -
One can change back and forth between Cont and Step mode at will.
When you click "Step" the button lights up green - correct?
When you click "Cont" the step Cont button (Or MPG button if you were in MPG mode) goes out and the Cont button become green - correct?

Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:10:28 PM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Dave..
  Yes to all questions, but nothing happens in step mode when I press an axis key.
Once I press a key in step mode, nothing will work in cont mode again until I reset Mach.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »
Please perform the following experiment and let me know what happens:
1) start mach with MSM
2) verify that cont jogging works
3) select step mode
4) set step value to something reasonable - say 0.5" or 13mm etc - just some reasonable amount to give obvious movement
5) press right arrow for X+

Does it move?
If not, exit and restart mach from same profile.
while a reset might do it, but I want to make the 2nd part of the test as similar as possible)

6) start mach with same profile as before
7) use menus, view, load screens - load 1024.set
8 ) verify that cont jogging works
9) select step mode
10) set step value to something reasonable again (Use same value as before)
11) press right arrow for X+

Is the result movement or hanging?

12) Before exiting mach, use menus, view, load screens to load MachStdMill.set
13) Exit mach (this gets the profile rewritten so that next time you start, this profile is back to MSM as it was when we started).

Dave

www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »
Hi Dave
     I may have gotten alarmed over nothing.  I had the step increment set to one inch.
When I hit the key to start a step, I did not notice anything happening.  While working with it later on,
I did the same thing and noticed the gantry moving, veeery slow.  I had expected it to move at the normal
jog rate and did not notice that it was creeping along.  So it was, apparently, still moving when I would try to
go back to cont mode and nothing would happen in that mode.  Is this very slow movement the way
 it is supposed to work?
  Larry
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
Hi Larry,
OK, that's good - it's actually moving just at a rate that is not what you expected.
In cont mode jog speed is controlled by the slow jog % DRO next to the cont button.
In step mode, the movement will be at whatever the current feed rate is.

Check your feed rate - I'd suspect it was set to a slow value.

Dave

www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
Hi Dave..
     I suspect you have hit on it. I had not set any feed rate so don't know what it had defaulted to.
  One other question...
    I know what cont mode does.
    I know what step mode does.
    I know what mpg mode does..
  But what does S/V mode do??

Larry..
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
Larry -
re V and S/V modes -
these are both MPG modes. In V (velocity) mode, the amount of movement is proportional to the speed at which you turn the MPG.
In S/V mode, mach is supposed to start in step mode, then shift to velocity mode when the mpg is turned faster than some threshold.

I've been told that in current revs of mach, these two modes are really the same as one mode is either broken or has been removed. (I don't remember which of the two is "disabled" off the top of my head).
I never got a clear answer as to if this was a bug situation or an intentional change - so when doing MSM I kept both mode buttons in the jogging block and let mach do whatever it does when you select each MPG mode.

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com