Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:08 PM

Author Topic: Soft Limits and a Linear A axis  (Read 5362 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Soft Limits and a Linear A axis
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
Does Soft Limits NOT work with an A axis even though it's set to be linear? I have Soft Limits on and all three normal axes, X, Y, and Z work fine, but A does nothing. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or is this the way it is? I've tried reversing the A axis with Ports & Pins/Motor Outputs and also in Homing & Limits, check REVERSED, nothing makes the soft limits work.

BTW, BP clone with servos on X, Y, Z quill, and A knee. It works great other than the Soft Limits issue, so far.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Limits and a Linear A axis
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:20:56 AM »
Should work fine I think, have you unchecked the A as Angular on General Config page?
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
Should work fine I think, have you unchecked the A as Angular on General Config page?

Yes, I have unchecked A as Angular in General Config. Soft limits does nothing on the A, at least at the bottom of the travel. I may have only checked jogging with my pendant, I'll try today with the jog key to be sure. The other 3 axes Soft Limit just fine.
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »
Oh sorry read wrong, was thinking it was hard limits you were talking about. Regardless, soft limits should work fine but I will just go test now here.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »
Just tried in simulation here and softlimits work fine for A axis, are you sure you have the softlimits enabled and rthe correct values set on Homing and Limits page?
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Just tried in simulation here and softlimits work fine for A axis, are you sure you have the softlimits enabled and rthe correct values set on Homing and Limits page?

Soft Limits is enabled, it works great in X, Y, and Z, axis grinding to a halt before stopping just short of the limit switch. XYX work,  just not A. I think I have the correct values in Homing and Limits, they're the same values that were in Z when A was Z, last week!

I do run the dev version, and SS, so perhaps this is another potential dev version thing, or perhaps even an SS thing. Another one not worth switching for, I guess!
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
As long as you have the machine coords zero the same as it was for Z then it should be fine, ie A fully up is zero and move down and DROs go negative. So in Homing and Limits A Max would be zero and A Min would be a negative number equal to your travel.

Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
Well, I have full DOWN as Zero, moving A positive moves the knee UP, opposite of the way it was when it was Z, of course. Doing this to use Ray Livingstons "tool comp with knee" macros which assume this. In homing and limits A Max is positive 15.1 inches and A Min is zero. Should be the same difference, right?
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »
Ah Ok, yes should be as long as that is what your DROs are showing when you move the axis. So it may well be the Dev version but if you want to attach your xml I will give it a test here.
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:35 AM »
Here it is.
--
Tom