Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:07:02 AM

Author Topic: Delayed axis movement  (Read 3076 times)

Delayed axis movement
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
Hello guys:

Newbie on board...I've done some searching of different discussions, but am unable to find any similar to my problem.  I'm trouble shooting an issue with my homemade (leadscrew) router.  I when I say newbie, I'm not kidding!!

When I use the arrow keys on my computer to move my X and Y axis, initially I get a delayed start of movement.  I get a loud hum, then start of the axis.  The delay is maybe 1/2 second or so.  Then the axis runs normally.  If I use the arrows fast (back and forth on either axis) there is no delay in change of direction.  But if I wait 10-15 seconds, then start axis movement, I get that darned delay.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a software issue or hardware issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rod
Re: Delayed axis movement
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
Rod,
Does your controller use a current reduction feature when the steppers are at rest?  If so, disable it following the driver board instructions.

Regards,
John Champlain
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
John:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I purchased the controller already assembled.  It's a Hobby CNC (I think) board.  I purchased it from mikebeck.org.

I'll contact him for information.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Idle Current Reduction to 50% when idle for 10 seconds. Can change this time delay.

Right on Rod, I think it's one of the jumpers but not sure. It has created problems for others.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »
I contacted Mike (he assembled the board for me).  He told me how to fix this...basically I need to change jumper 4 to On.  That should take care of this voltage reduction problem, causing the delayed start.  I will report my findings.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Good news...I changed the J4's into the controller and the hesitation disappeared.  Thanks for the advice...I'm off and running!!

Rod