Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:15:03 AM

Author Topic: Step / Velocity mode  (Read 13063 times)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
Re: Step / Velocity mode
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »
Hi Hood,
That was good timing, I just connected a spare mpg to the PP, just about to try it. back in a few mins
Cheers

David

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 03:27:21 AM »
Right, I've tried it with an MPG connected directly to the PP without the smooth-stepper enabled and things are just the same, so it doesn't look like the smooth-stepper is affecting the results.
I even recalibrated the MPG and set the max speed and step / velocity change over to 1000 detents / sec, to ensure that it would be stepping if it was going to, and it didn't, it just ran in velocity mode.
It was quite smooth, probably a fair bit smoother than the serial mpg, but that's probably to be expected.

Not sure where to go from here, perhaps into the house for a cuppa? :)
Cheers

David

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:08 AM »
BTW Hood, if you want to put your video back, I can watch it this evening, but don't go to any trouble.
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
Sorry not been at the workshop today, that is where the vid is. If I remember tomorrow I will repost it.
If possible it might be better to connect your MPG via Port3 of the SmoothStepper.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 05:47:10 AM »
Afraid I had deleted the vid from the computer here at the workshop so made another one and uploaded it. Let me know when you have seen it and I will delete.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIKfSsgFE4

Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks Hood,
Your axis are definitely a fair bit smoother than mine. I think I'll try your suggestion and hook the mpg up to port 3 on the SS. I appreciate you going to the trouble.
I am still mulling over the step jog thing, I would have dropped it if Ray hadn't said he had it working.
Ray, if you read this, what version of Mach are you running?
Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
I have servos on my machines with fast acceleration and that actually makes it slightly less smooth when at slow speed in Vel mode. The Bridgeport has steppers and accel is a lot slower but the MPG is smoother at slow revs, then again if it was to be used for manual machining I would remove the detent from the MPG as that would help keep a more consistent slow turning speed.

Hood
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
Thanks Hood,
Your axis are definitely a fair bit smoother than mine. I think I'll try your suggestion and hook the mpg up to port 3 on the SS. I appreciate you going to the trouble.
I am still mulling over the step jog thing, I would have dropped it if Ray hadn't said he had it working.
Ray, if you read this, what version of Mach are you running?
Cheers
Dave

Dave,

I'm using 3.042.020, with a SmoothStepper. 

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.