Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:13 AM

Author Topic: Homing sequence and Z-Axis Home Offset?  (Read 15610 times)

Re: Homing sequence and Z-Axis Home Offset?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 03:44:24 PM »
Actually, my homing sequence is correct. First the Z moves, which makes good sense because you don't want the Z axis to crash into any tooling or work pieces that happen to be in the way when the X/Y begin to move toward Home.

As for the Safe_Z function, I figured out how to enable it and set the offset, but the function works only for "Go To Zero". It does not work for Home. So, I think I'm simply going to reconfigure my Z Home switch to a higher position that would clear anything on the table. That should resolve my problem and it's probably the BEST solution.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

BTW - The MACH3 is an incredible piece of software. I've used very expensive GE/Fanuc CNC controllers over the years and I must say that MACH can do just about everything the Fanuc controller can do at a tiny fraction of the cost. I am totally blown away by its capabilities!  I'm a very happy and satisfied customer.   ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:48:08 PM by xray_man »
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.

Hood

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
Mike
the best thing is Mach is evolving all the time and Art and Brian are on the ball when it comes to ironing out the slight glitches :)
Hood
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
Thanks Hood!  Yes, I will continue to keep tabs on the updates. I can only imagine how many great new features we will see in the coming years!
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 04:20:59 PM »
I second Mikes emotions about Mach. It is the bomb.
Hood, mine does move the x&y first, then the z when I hit go to Z. I have z homeing disabled in ports and pins so not sure about the ref. all home button. The Goto Z button is a function = go to Zeros. The VB script edit form operator tab will not open it. Not to concerned as I'm going to load the latest release and a KILLER screen one of my friends made. He is good. I would like to know why though.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »
Brett
 Is there a reason why you have the Z Homeing disabled? No limits on Z yet?
The Go to Z button does not have VB in it, its just a button with G Code function enabled. The button I was meaning when I said Home button was the reference button.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 05:00:13 PM »
I have Z limits installed. The reason I don't have the Z home enabled is because my knee is so slow. 8 IPM. I will hardley ever move the Z more than 2.00" in a run.
The Goto Z button is a function = go to Zeros.
Well, it is on mine anyway. I tried to put Gcode in and it didn't like it. Was probably my code. Cam package has made me dumb. ;D Do you have a string of code I could try?

Hood

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
In screen 4 you just click on the Go To Z button and in the G Code box it should have the code, you also have to make sure you have the G Code box checked I think. The code for it is simple even for a dummy like me, its G0 X0 Y0 Z0

Ah yes forgot it was the knee you had as the Z.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »
Yes, I could get it to do that, but when it does they all three move together. When I make the z the first line, the x&y the second I get an error message. And yes, that is screen 3. LOL The alarm says " The code must not be more than one line or end with an <Enter>."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:49:00 PM by Chaoticone »

Hood

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
What is meant to happen is the Z moves to its safe position, the X and Y move to zero then the Z moves to zero. Your problem is likely to be because you dont have your Z Home enabled and therefore dont have the safe Z set up. Might be worth setting up an adjustable home switch for your knee so that you can reference without having to move the whole knee travel.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »
I think it would work fine if I knew how to get more than one line of code to take. I edited my last post.
The alarm says " The code must not be more than one line or end with an <Enter>."