Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:21:36 AM

Author Topic: NOOB Question concerning the red boundary line in the display area  (Read 2810 times)

Hello everyone,
I've built a 2'x4' kit with dual X R&P drives and lead screw Y and Z, and have it put together, and have been working at getting Mach3 up and running.  I mostly have been following the pdf instructions, but have recently found the training videos.  In all of the training videos, the table's boundaries are represented by a red line.  I have both limit switches (I have just one set of switches on my X, as opposed to having both X and A wired) and soft limits configured so that they seem to be working properly, but instead of a red boundary line, I see a gray 3D box (it's only 3D when you rotate the display off axis, otherwise it's a 2D box!) made up of dashed gray lines.  I can't help but feel I have the limits screwed up somehow.

Any advice? I'm completely new to this, so there may be some basic concepts I'm missing that would be obvious to someone with more experience.
Thanks!

ps. this site needs a wiki

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: NOOB Question concerning the red boundary line in the display area
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »
The dotted lines are the representation of your working area as set in your soft limits.
The red box around the toolpath shows the extent of the actual code that is loaded.
The videos were made a long time ago so they look different as Mach is continually getting updated.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:50 AM »
Oh and there is a wiki for Mach ;)
Hood
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »
In other words, it's fine as is?  Thanks.

ps. I see the wiki now, but it doesn't appear to be for people getting started.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Yes, as long as the area shown is a representation of your working area. If its not then you need to set up your soft limits correctly.

Problem with Mach is there is so much it can do, so where do you start. The Install and Config manual and the videos are probably the best place but they only skim the surface. The wiki tends to be for the more advanced features and customising.
Hood