Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:28:17 AM

Author Topic: adding second parallel port?  (Read 11653 times)

adding second parallel port?
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
i just got done troubleshooting my setup and found out that my parallel port is trashed.  i only have 2 working pins.  i verified this with a scope and another computer. 

anyways.  i have 2 options...  1) use a secondary parallel port, or 2) get a new motherboard.  i already have a PCI parallel port card which i just bought.  however, i found instructions in the tutorial section, but it doesnt seem to work.  the input range i have in the resources tab says like CC00 or something.  its not standard like 0x387 or whatever.  mach2 wont accept that it says in there...

i also cannot change its settings.  is there a way to override this?  or maybe is there another address i could use?  OR, an alternate driver that would let me change the settings?  this is just a generic parallel card from compusa.

thanks!

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
Re: adding second parallel port?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:41:07 AM »
here's a parallel card I use. It works great.  Your "generic" card may not be capable.
It's a link to EBay's DigiWonder seller.  If you look through the list of items they have for sale, you might find another with a duel port option. Others might have serial and parallel combo..you just don't use the serial in that case.
http://tinyurl.com/bf4uf

Also, here's basically the same...http://www.rogersmachine.net/PCIport.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 01:48:30 AM by Bloy »
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »
It should work, where are you getting the input range numbers from? Device manager?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:04:59 PM »
also, I found when installing  a parallel port that it auto assigned it to Lpt3.  after assigning it to Lpt2( in device manager)and checking the resources in there, all was well.  There were drivers to install too.

..You should see more in the "range" under the resources tab.... rather than a single location.

...Though, maybe I haven't had enough experience with different cards....I did have one older model that looked liked a card embedded with a dozen mini "kit-kat" bars that came with my scanner.  It didn't work on my newer PC.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:12:44 PM by Bloy »
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 01:39:12 AM »
It should work, where are you getting the input range numbers from? Device manager?

im getting the input range numbers from the device manager, yes.  ill post a screenshot of the screen tomorrow. 

also, I found when installing  a parallel port that it auto assigned it to Lpt3.  after assigning it to Lpt2( in device manager)and checking the resources in there, all was well.  There were drivers to install too.

..You should see more in the "range" under the resources tab.... rather than a single location.

...Though, maybe I haven't had enough experience with different cards....I did have one older model that looked liked a card embedded with a dozen mini "kit-kat" bars that came with my scanner.  It didn't work on my newer PC.

i tried setting it as LPT3 and LPT2, but the ranges stayed the same.  thats just what im getting, is a range. 

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
  • Knowledge is the Treasure.
    • View Profile
    • Black Dragon Technologies
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »
I Ran into this problem while seting my system up as well. Under the Port settings for whichever LPTx port you want to configure in MACH3 set the port address to 0XCC00 or whatever your system has configured it to.  if the System is set for a lower Address drop the 0 ie In your control panel it is showing a port address of 0278 then Mach 3 should be set to 0x278 if it is showing a port address of cc00 then set it to 0xCC00

Hope that helps

M
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »
thats exactly my problem! 

in device manager, it gives me ranges:  CC00 and DD00. 

ill try your suggestion and see if it works, thanks!

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:52:52 PM »
I just reviewed the "installation" video tutorial to see if things had changed...
  If you still have problems,  make sure you leave off the "0x" and only enter the "CC00" into Mach's port configuration. 
The program will add the "0x" by itself.

Let us know if you still have problems... good luck!

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »
Hey Crew,

What was the outcome of this? Was it solved and if so what was the solution? I have the same issue...

Looking in the "Resources" section of my device manager it says AC00-AC07. I have put in "AC00" without the 0x as per the details below, but I have no communication with the port.

Also, is the Ground 0 volts also fed from pins 18 - 25 on the second parallel port?

Thoughts?

Hood

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 07:04:42 PM »
Try putting ac07 as the address. Grounds are the same as first port, in fact all pins are the same with the exception of pins 2 to 9 as you can change them to inputs.
Hood