Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:49:11 PM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper MDI problem  (Read 9717 times)

Smooth Stepper MDI problem
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:40:22 AM »
Hi

I recently changed to smooth stepper on my lathe. Everything seems to work fine except I cannot run anything from the MDI. Jogging works fine, running G Code from files works fine, but if I try to run a single command such as an axis move from MDI, the system locks up and I cannot jog or start spindle. all controls are dead. Pressing Estop then resetting clears the fault and everything is then back to normal, but if I try again to enter anything via MDI, the same thing happens.

Grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Neptune

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper MDI problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:07:27 AM »
I dont have a problem either on the lathe or mill, in fact I have just done a MDI on the lathe this morning to turn a 38 bar down to 32mm before running the code.
What version of Mach and SS plugin are you using? What are you trying to MDI?

If you attach your xml I can test with it here and see if I can get the same problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
Hi Hood

Mach Vn. R3.042.035  SS USB Driver 2.08.02  SS Plugin v015ogx2.m3p

I am just really trying to commission the changeover to smooth stepper. I have run several part programs successfully, the problem only seems to be with the MDI.

What I am trying to do is take a cut to set my X datum. G1Z-20F50 neither the axis or the DRO move. If I then try to jog, nothing happens unless I press Estop and reset, then I can jog again normally.

XML attached

Thanks, Neptune

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
Cant test until I get home as the lathe is being used and wont be home until probably after midnight. In the mean time load the standard screenset just to make sure that is not the issue.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
No worries.

The problem is the same with the standard screenset. Also the screenset currently in use works fine under PP control.
I'm glad I'm not the only one working late nights.
Thanks for your help

Neptune

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
Just got home, loaded your xml and had to change the active state of the E-Stop as I am just simulating with a smoothstepper hooked up. Pressed reset went to MDI and typed G0Z100 and it went there according to the DRO, Just to make sure the SS was outputting I hooked up the scope and typed G0Z0 and I get pulses out.
 So safe to say your xml is not the problem.
Do you have a macropump, plugin (other than SS one) or any Brains running that could be affecting it?

Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
I've seen a few problem XMLs that acted quite differently between a SS and LPT. Investigating them with an XML viewer showed no strange things with the the SS configuration but a few odd things on the Mach side. I could never figure out what those particular variables did though. Starting a new XML from scratch solved the problem. Since Hood did not have a problem with your XML it seems unlikely that it would be at fault but it would be easy enough to create a new one to test with.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
Hi guys

No macropumps or brains. The only other plugins were video window and turn diagnostics which I have removed from the plugins folder. I have started a new profile from scratch but problem remained. I have also swapped out the computer with a spare, No change.

However I have moved forward with this. Firstly I discovered that M3, M4, M5 ans S word worked normally from the MDI input, it was only G code that wouldn't work. I changed the keyboard from  a USB type to a PS2 but problem remained.

Then I discovered that if I had a G code program loaded, the MDI input would work in all respects. But I could not load a G code program after I had tried to input an MDI G code because I would get an alert every time I tried (See atachment).

To explain better, there are 2 scenarios:

1.  Start up smooth stepper, try to input G0z20 into MDI, nothing happens, system is locked up. Press Estop and Reset, system is working normally except for MDI input. Try to load a part program, get SS alert as attachment.

2.  Start up smooth stepper, load part program (any of several), everything is working normally including the MDI, no alerts.

This has solved my problem really, I don't understand why it is the case and whether it is just the way it works or if it is specific to my setup.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I will be running with SS from now, if there are any further developments, I will keep you posted.

Neptune

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
Its certainly not the way it works and I am unsure why you are seeing it. Thankfully you have found a work around but hopefully the true fix can be found.
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:59:11 AM »
My oft feeble old mind seems to remember an issue with MDI and Gcode loaded or not loaded but I can't remember exactly when/where it was. It might have been in the dev versions while testing with the MachStdMill screenset.

Would it be possible for you to install the latest lockdown version of Mach, 040,  and try that? You could make a backup of your Mach3 folder beforehand and just replace it if the new version doesn't fix your problem and you really want 3.042.035 installed (don't try this folder swapping while running on PP, pp driver version problems!).

--
Tom