Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:28:54 PM

Author Topic: need general info on steppers and controllers  (Read 3285 times)

need general info on steppers and controllers
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
I know I have asked this before.

I have an older cnc machine that I want to convert and run using MACH3 software.

The machine has the following:

one motor is: "VEXTA" "PH299-01" 3V, 4A. (2-phase) (y-axis)
The other "visible" motor is 'VEXTA" "PH296-02" 5.5V, 1.25 A. (2-phase) (z-axis)

I have not taken the machine apart, so I can not see the underside to see the third motor. I assume it is the same as the y-axis.

These are 6-wire motors.

I want to buy or pay someone to get me a controller that I can just wire up and plug in my parallel port and go from Mach 3.

I do not have a lot of money. I do not want to spend $1000 per axis.

Can someone tell me why suppliers that sell low voltage motors sell controllers that don't match. I see stepper motors on line that are, for example 3volt, and the same site sells a board or controller for 30 volts. What am I missing?

Thanks for any suggestions. (feel free to e-mail me directly: to "nltnme_2-at-yahoo-dot-com")

homer.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: need general info on steppers and controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Have a read of page 11 of this pdf, it explains about the voltage.   http://www.geckodrive.com/upload/Step%20Motor%20Basics%20Guide.pdf
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:27:02 AM »
Hi Homer,

I have had good results using the cheap single board, multi axis, controllers from China - there are plenty for sale on Ebay. If they go wrong (4 fitted, all different and none have failed so far) then they are throw away items - there is little, if any, after sales or backup support.
I am not recommending a supplier but here are the typical instructions for connecting this type of board. http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/MDfly.zip

If you can afford to spend more then the Gecko drives are probably the best and have good after sales support etc etc.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:44:40 AM »
homer,
Camtonics sells controller kits.
You need to determine what your requirements will be. ie; steppers or servo motors ( maybe a combination ), the drives you will use, then the power supply required.  I would recommend a power supply that is adequate for four motors at max amp rating. The controller box should provide enough room for easy installlation of all the parts. So take your time, think about the machines you  have now and may have in the future, thus , buy / make once.

RICH