Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:58 AM

Author Topic: March3 Directory structure question  (Read 4073 times)

March3 Directory structure question
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »
Is it possible to store GCode and other Mach directories on a different drive under XP from that used to hold the software.

I want to move my critical data files only (such as those stored in Gcode) to a secure mirrored drive which I have recently added to my computer set up.
I could find no option in the drop down menu's to be able to do this in M3mill.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: March3 Directory structure question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:20:48 AM »
You can store G Code anywhere you wish but it is better to be on the controlling computer, whether that be the same drive as Mach is installed on or another doesnt matter. If loading code over a network it is best to actually save it somewhere on the machines computer rather than running from the network itself.

Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »
You can store G Code anywhere you wish but it is better to be on the controlling computer, whether that be the same drive as Mach is installed on or another doesnt matter. If loading code over a network it is best to actually save it somewhere on the machines computer rather than running from the network itself.

More out of curiosity than anything else, does Mach3 "load" a Gcode file or "stream" or "spoonfeed" it somwhow? I was under the impression it "loaded" it. I store all my Gcode on my Windows Home Server and load from that location. I've never noticed any network activity while running Gcode, but then, my Gcode files aren't big.
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »
It loads it as far as I know but Brian has recommended that you do not load direct over the network but rather store on the computer and load from there. Why I am not sure.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:28:07 AM »
Gents,
Thank you for your comments but you are missing the point of my inquiry. I keep my master Gcode files NOT in my workshop where I have a separate computer which directly operates my machinery, but on my general purpose "office "computer. I  load my worKshop computer with Gcode via a memory stick transfer as needed. I do all my CNC preparation work using Lcam and Mach3  on this "office" computer in comfortable, quiet surroundings which I find a considerable advantage. This office computer I have recently fitted with additional RAIDED drives for long term  data security purposes.  I would like to move my existing Gcode folder to these new more secure drives leaving the Mach 3 software where it is on the existing drive,  but I cannot find how in Mach3 you can redirect the software to look elsewhere for the  Mach3 Gcode folder  other than the drive the Mach3 software is installed on. On most modern software products it is simple matter to relocate data folders via a setup option which directs the software where to actually look for data files. So far I can find no such option on Mach3.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:58:41 AM »
Well maybe  I am still not understanding but if I am its as simple as pressing Load Coade button and browsing to where your code is,  done once and it will go there the next time without browsing.
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:22 AM »
I can confirm with certainty that you select Load, browse to the new file location, network drive, local drive, anywhere where Windows can find a file, open it. From then on, until you browse to a different location, Mach3 will go to the selected folder when selecting Load.

I've never personally had a gcode file anywhere other than a network location. If I need to do a clean install of Mach for some reason, once pointed to the network location, and for that matter, a file extension (.tap, .txt, .ncf, etc) it sticks.
--
Tom
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the info regarding Mach3 remembering where to get files from after being pointed to a new location the first time you want to use a new  location. I will try it out on my system