Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:58:49 PM

Author Topic: Problems getting mach3 to talk to smoothstepper  (Read 16326 times)

Problems getting mach3 to talk to smoothstepper
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
I had to upgrade to a new computer which is running windows 7x64.  I hooked up smoothstepper and loaded the drivers with no problem, windows sees smoothstepper. Then I downloaded mach3 Version R3.043.022 and loaded it. Now at this point mach3 starts up with no problem, and I can adjust motors in the window for motor tuning and setup, mind you this is without loading smoothstepper plugin. Also if I use the arrow keys the reference of x, y , z, all move as if the machine would be. Ok now I load the plugin SmoothStepper_Beta2_v015ogx2.m3p from smoothstepper site, double click it and it loads into mach3. Now when I start mach3 mill it has smoothstepper listed, I configure it the same as the instructions on the smoothstepper manual shows.

Now, I can not adjust motor tuning at all? No matter what I do velocity goes to 0 on all axis? Also I get no movement in the machine even though its hooked up. The smoothstepper board has a steady blue and green light on it.

Ok I am not great on computers, but being retired I miss not being able to make a mess with my sherline mill. Mach 3  and lazy cam has always done all  I need.

Anyone have any idea's what I am doing wrong with the set up?

thanks
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Problems getting mach3 to talk to smoothstepper
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:51:13 AM »
If you loaded a different plugin then you will need to select that. What to do is go to Functions  Config menu then choose Reset Device Select. Next restart Mach and then a box will appear giving you the choice of Parallel Port and any Plugins you have installed, choose the one you want for the SmoothStepper and you should be fine. You can also choose the Dont show next time box if you dont want that choice each time you start Mach.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
Thanks Hood, but that I did. In fact when I loaded Mach3 it gave the option to load parrallel control. I tried it without, tried it with. When starting up it gives the notice the smoothstepper needs to be configured, or accept the defaults, which I tried both ways. Its After I try config on smoothstepper that it locks up.

I am guessing that windows 7x64 is the problem, even tried the parallel port the computer has on a pci slot. It won't work either, although computer says it is working fine. Might be easier to get the parallel port to work. I just am little over my head with computer problems,,,ok lol alot over my head.

again thanks Hood

Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
You wont get the PP working with a 64bit version but the SS should work fine. Never used it myself but have seen others say they have. When you start Mach and choose the SS Plugin do you get any error messages?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »
Ok after a reboot, I start mach3 and get the notice that smoothstepper has to be config. I then get a window saying if I want to use the defaults or if not that smoothstepper must be configured right away. I click No on the defaults, I then get a window saying
to use the config which I do. I set the controller freq at 1khz and step Freq at 256 for all axis and spindle. Everything else I leave alone and click OK. Then it says i need to restart mach. Upon restart, samething, seems nothing was saved. One note is that if I use the defaults on smoothstepper I then get a Timeout error getting data and after that several times as fast as I click OK it then locks up mach.

LOL hope some of this makes sense to you.

Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Only thing I can think of is your xml is read only.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
I had the same problem for a while. Just go into the smooth stepper setup and move the check mark down from the 5V to the other choice which is ??? relative???  it's the box in the upper left corner and has only 2 choices.
Doc

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
With Windows 7 you need to run Mach as administrator or it won't work properly. This is not a SS specific issue.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:32 AM »
With Windows 7 you need to run Mach as administrator or it won't work properly. This is not a SS specific issue.

Really? I use Windows 7 32 bit and SmoothStepper, have for ever since Windows 7 released. I don't remember even having to run Mach3 as administrator even once to get something to save. Perhaps drivertest.exe, but not Mach itself. What exactly are the issues I'd be seeing NOT running as administrator? You DO mean right clicking the Mach shortcut, Properties, Compatability, and setting Run as Administrator?
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:22:44 AM »
I think Jeff is meaning your windows user account, when you first install Windows it usualy asks you what rights you want and if you choose administer rights then you will be fine. If you dont set up separate user accounts then you will be the administrator so will be fine. Have never used W7 but I would imagine it would be the same in this respect.
Hood