Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:33:21 PM

Author Topic: I know XP works but I am seeing that W7 does not work so well with Mach  (Read 6898 times)

In the title, So can Windows 7 run Mach or not on a normal desktop?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: I know XP works but I am seeing that W7 does not work so well with Mach
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »
I have only seen a handful of people using W7 but reports have been favourable.
The 32 bit version needs to be used  if using the parallel port. If using an external pulsing device then 64 bit can be used.
Hood

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit is working very well here for me. I've run it on two computers actually running machines and a couple other Win7 machines for testing and have had zero problems that could be attributed to Windows 7.

I currently run my BP clone on Win7 on an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ with 2GB and have run PP and SmoothStepper, works great. I ran on a new Intel Core I3 530 with a PCI-E add-on parallel port and that one wouldn't run Drivertest.exe well so I abandoned it although it ran fine with the SmoothStepper.

All in all, I think Windows 7 is fine.
--
Tom
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks again you guys, much appreciated.
Yes, I need the parallel port as I am running the HobbyCNC kit so I need the Home Premium version of W7.
I shall see if BestBuy has what I need,
Thanks again,
Tom

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Thanks again you guys, much appreciated.
Yes, I need the parallel port as I am running the HobbyCNC kit so I need the Home Premium version of W7.
I shall see if BestBuy has what I need,
Thanks again,
Tom

You don't NEED the Home Premium version of W7. Any version availble on a PC will work fine. What you NEED is a computer with a parallel port, increasingly hard to find now days. You can easily add a PCI parallel card, however. The issue with any PC, it seems, is how well it'll run Mach3 drivertest.exe. Some seem to run fine, some not. My Core i3 wouldn't run it well, so I never even tried parallel port on that one. It ran fine with SmoothStepper.
--
Tom

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
If your just buying a copy of Windows 7, an OEM copy from Newegg will be at least $100 cheaper than any version at Best Buy.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
First let me say thank you all for your help with this issue.
Second this is what I have done, instead of purchasing the newer computer with W7 I poked around and found a little out of the way computer repiar shop and asked about used machines with at least the minimum requirements for Mach3 and they set me up with an old Dell (I know)Optiplex GX240, it is running at 1.8ghz with XP Pro, 512mb ram, 20gb HD and a seperate video card with 32mb all for $150.  The nice thing is I have enough memory lying around at the house to up the ram to the max at 2gb.
I did not have a chance to run the driver test for Mach yet but it should be fine.  Before I payed for the computer last night I made it perfectly clear that if it did not run Mach3 the Optiplex with be returned, the proprietor said that would be fine and then we could go up from the Optiplex to a larger used computer.
Thanks again for you help,
DT
Tom
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »
Well the little Optiplex can only go up to 1gb of ram, that is good enough as this computer's only job is to run Mach3.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
I've run 500,000 lines of code with 512MB of RAM.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
That's awesome Gerry, I love how Mach3 is so robust yet is can use so little to operate within.