Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:15:35 AM

Author Topic: COMPUTER SPEED,ECT  (Read 2738 times)

COMPUTER SPEED,ECT
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
I am looking at a new computer just for running a 4 axis cnc machine using a smooth stepper. Does the speed of the processor effect how Mach3 will preform? I understand it will run on 1Ghz, but will it run better on 3.3GHz. Does it matter if it is a duo or quad processor? What about ram,would 4GB or 8GB be better than 2GB? I will be use Windows7. How about the video card,512,any suggestions? I want to make sure I can get the most out of Mach and my machine without going overboard. I am very new at this so if has been answered before just point me in the wright direction. Thanks,Tommy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: COMPUTER SPEED,ECT
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
I run my machines with  Via Pico mobos and the SmoothStepper and they run well. The pico is tiny, not much bigger than the SmoothStepper, its got a 1Gig CPU and I have the max 1 Gig memory.

So I would say most computers of 1Gig or more will be happy with Mach, especially when using the SS as it takes a big load away from the computer with it doing the pulsing.

What kind of work will you be doing?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Oh just to add I use XP rather than W7 but dont think it would make much difference.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
Hood, That being the case I can use what I already have, and that's a good thing.I am glad to see you recommend XP over W7,I have enough new stuff to learn. I have a custom cabinet shop and hope to be able to cut parts. That's how I justify building it,but the truth be known I love projects and machinery so it seemed like the thing to do. With work a little slower now it will also give us more option . Thanks for your help again (this is my second question and you also answered the 1st) Tommy