Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:59:46 AM

Author Topic: Current state of mod bus and changes with V4 ?  (Read 4040 times)

Current state of mod bus and changes with V4 ?
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:47 AM »
Are the mod bus vb script calls from the wiki still operational with serial plugin enabled  ?  I refer to functions listed on wiki such as setmodoutput( , ) and other calls.

I am working with a adruino mega , using a public domain mod bus rtu slave program. I have serial plugin enabled. Great results with analog in in particular ,  

I have studied the videos, but I am not sure on several points. For example if I set output 1 as port 0 pin 22 in ports and pins config, do I then need a braiin to transfer the signal, or is it set up in serial plugin config ?

I would hate to do all the work and then have it not work in V4 ! Will mod bus be changed for V4 ?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Current state of mod bus and changes with V4 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
answers embedded below.......

Are the mod bus vb script calls from the wiki still operational with serial plugin enabled  ?  I refer to functions listed on wiki such as setmodoutput( , ) and other calls.

>>>The Wiki VB script calls only work for the Original NON-Serial Modbus plugin, NOT the Serial Plugin Enabled (or TCP for that matter)... The only two ways to access the Serial Plugin Enabled Modbus OR TCP Modbus is via Brains, OR a plugin.
The Old style Serial modbus is in its own data structure and was the only one that had VB hooks to it.....

I am working with a adruino mega , using a public domain mod bus rtu slave program. I have serial plugin enabled. Great results with analog in in particular ,
 I have studied the videos, but I am not sure on several points. For example if I set output 1 as port 0 pin 22 in ports and pins config, do I then need a braiin to transfer the signal, or is it set up in serial plugin config ?

>>>Again the Old Style Serial Modbus and Serial PLugin modbus are two different things.....
Old style accessable via VB, new serial plugin is NOT, but BOTH can be accessed via Brians.....

NOTE: the OLD style and NEW style serial modbus are MUTUALLY exclusive, it you enable one the other style become un available...
i.e. if you tick use serial modbus only, then the old style is available, if you tick use serial modbus and tick use plugin serial modbus then only the new
style serial is available under the Ports and Pins 1st tab.

I would hate to do all the work and then have it not work in V4 ! Will mod bus be changed for V4 ?

>>>>>I have whined and begged for fixes to the Modbus for YEARS, and whined for fixes to Brains for YEARS.......  my answer was this, that Brian is NOT going to do anything for us on the "Bleeding Edge" until he gets all the basic stuff working, that serves the most numbers of users.......  He says that only a few of use (on the lunitic fringe I guess), use the "Higher End" stuff, like Modbus, Brians, etc........  So, we are pushed back, to "Some Point Far, Far, Far, down the road. I understand why he says what he says, and understand that he is trying to keep the "main bulk" or typical users happy (which is where the most money for him comes from.......). It is just frustrating, to those of use that are on the "Lunitic Fringe" that enjoy pushing the envolope..

My advice to you for what ever it is worth to you, The MAIN reason that I learned to do Plugins was to overcome the lack of progress on the higher end stuff.......  

Version 4:  Last I have heard is that the Modbus, Brains and other higher end stuff wont even work for a while, until he gets the Main Code all working...

I know he has a BIG job that takes Tremendous amounts of his time to get V4 out the door and working for its true main application, that is cutting a part...  so the bells and whistles.........  at some point I guess will be added, as he gets the main stuff debugged.....

I think the Modbus, Brians and the new Plugin SDK are also somewhere behind basic Mach Turn V4 as well.........

Not trying to bum you out, just the above is the way it is....   So for now, I would probably keep your advanced machines at V3 level where this stuff currently works (including the bug work arounds), until such time as he implements and stabilizes the other advanced stuff.

Understand that Mach is a HUGE application, Art a long time ago showed me his source code, just a brief glimps, at the CNC workshop a while back. It was HUGE beyond belief. I though Plugins where big until I saw that........  

So, If I was running ArtSoft like Brian does now, I would honestly do the EXACT same thing he is doing, making sure that Mach preforms its core functions for the greatest amount of users...........  I am not mad or anything, just tired of waiting and being pushed back, even KNOWING why it must be so..

scott

fun times
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the valuable info. Bye the way I have been a fan of your work for a long while, i also have your MAD program. been learning C so I can understand plugins.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
:)

Thanks!!  How do you like the MAD??

Scott
fun times