Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:20:59 PM

Author Topic: How to recover from power interuption?  (Read 17688 times)

Re: How to recover from power interuption?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Maybe I would look at it in a simpler way.

Have a relay that senses power outage.  The coil is connected to the main power and the signal is fed with UPS power. When there is a power outage then the relay will send a signal that generates a feed hold command.  Your UPS power will hold your axis position and the spindle will power down. When power comes back then your spindle will come back to speed and the feed hold command will be reset (with some delay so the spindle will have time to pick up speed again).

This is just an idea considering that your UPS is capable of keeping your control and the axis motors on during tipical power outages.

Just as an alternative:  If power outages are short, and the power consumption of your overall system is low, maybe just having a higher capacity UPS to drive the whole system is the simplest solution.

Jorge
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
Thanks Jorge

How do you get the signal into Mach3 to create the feed hold command?

From reading some of the other posted messages on this site it seems that there are a lot more features in Mach3 than are in the downloadable book.

There has been mention of OEM inputs; is there information about these features anywhere on the net or is it only in the book that comes after you purchase the software?

On a question about "Open Doors Inhibit" Hood replied that the answer was "System Hotkeys from Config menu and set up the Chosen OEM as 1021" why 1021 and what would happen if 1022 is used instead. My feeling is that there is a lot more to this software than most folks know.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments so far..

Dennis
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
Dennis,

I have only been working with Mach for a short time. I would tell you what I would do but I am sure other people will give you better advice:

From the relay I told you about configure it as for example:

5V means there is power available (1).
0V means there is no power (0).

That is fed as an input pin in your parallel port. Then you program in pins and ports that input to be say OEM Trig #2. Then I would create a Brain. It would have two rungs. The first one would have as an input OEM Trig #2 and output OEM Code 1001 (feed hold).
The second one would have also as an input OEM Trig #2 and output OEM Code 1000 (cycle start). Obviously one of the two lines has to have an invert signal. There may be timing issues you have to address after your first trials.

That would be my first try.

As for documentation the manual is only good for basic stuff. As for brains there  are instructive videos. Even though brains have bugs I find them very useful. As for OEM leds and buttons, Hood has created a very practical list .

Jorge

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 05:56:43 PM »

On a question about "Open Doors Inhibit" Hood replied that the answer was "System Hotkeys from Config menu and set up the Chosen OEM as 1021" why 1021 and what would happen if 1022 is used instead. My feeling is that there is a lot more to this software than most folks know.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments so far..

Dennis

That actually had nothing to do with the Inhbit input, it was just the guy wanting an extra E-Stop input and he thought it may be the way. OEM codes can be for DROs, LEDs and Buttons and is just a means of you using VB to write to a specific DRO or look at a specific LED or Operate a specific button from VB or used viar OEM triggers, they can also be used in conjunction with Brains.

I am wondering however why you are going to all this bother when a few home switches would get you back up and running accurately in a few seconds, I would certainly be much happier in myself doing it that way than trying to do an auto routine, but maybe thats just me.

The optical switches I have on my first Mill I did (Bridgeport) were tested with a glass scale DRO and the DRO returned to zero each test I did except once and that was 0.005mm the DRO read, I did 100 runs, so not bad at all ;)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »
As for OEM leds and buttons, Hood has created a very practical list .

Jorge

I only put the OEM codes that were available on the wiki into a xls so it was easier to keep and search, think it was John P that gets the credit for making the list in the first place  :)

Hood
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 06:40:38 PM »
My perception is that these are profiling programs that take many hours, and it tedious to find out where the program was at the time of the outage. Otherwise the optical switches are a very good solution.

BTW Hood. Do you need some kind of homing routine for homing with the optical switches? Do you always use the same feed rate to home so timing is not an issue. I wonder how that works in order to get good repeatability.

Jorge
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 12:30:55 AM »
Thank you Hood, Jorge

Jorge has understood the type of thing that I hope to do. I estimate that each run will be between 10 and 14 hours using 0.02mm stepovers.
Also, at my age and with my character, it's not just the destinations in life that are important; it's the route that the journey takes.

Hood. Point me please to the information that is around on this subject. There may be an obvious way to find it, but I am new to this subject of computers. (Got my first laptop as a retirement present)

One other point has occurred to me after testing the download trial with the (very old) driver cards that I have. The maximum pulse length from Mach3 is 5us for step and direction. My driver cards require between 5 and 30us. Now I can stretch them with a bit of electronics, but, for the sake of taking the hard road; can it be done in software?
Messing with software is free except for time, and that I have in stock.

I guess it's a work day for you guys!! Not me!

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
BTW Hood. Do you need some kind of homing routine for homing with the optical switches? Do you always use the same feed rate to home so timing is not an issue. I wonder how that works in order to get good repeatability.

Jorge

On the Bridgeport (the one with optos) I just use the standard homing in Mach, it goes at the % you set of your rapid so as long as you are not changing the rapid it is at a constant speed. On my other machines I do the homing external to Mach as the servo drives can home to a switch then when seen they look for the index pulse of the encoder and then gate it with the A and B channel of the encoder to give an extremely accurate position.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:24:22 AM »
Hood. Point me please to the information that is around on this subject. There may be an obvious way to find it, but I am new to this subject of computers. (Got my first laptop as a retirement present)

Download the Mach2 customisation manual, lots of info in it and although it was written for Mach 2 its still moistly relevant.
The Wiki has lots of customisation info.
OEM list available at the top of this part of the forum in the sticky.
One other point has occurred to me after testing the download trial with the (very old) driver cards that I have. The maximum pulse length from Mach3 is 5us for step and direction. My driver cards require between 5 and 30us. Now I can stretch them with a bit of electronics, but, for the sake of taking the hard road; can it be done in software?
Messing with software is free except for time, and that I have in stock.

I guess it's a work day for you guys!! Not me!

Dennis
That pulse width is in addition to the latency your computer already has so setting 5 will definitely be higher than 5uS that your drives require as a min. In addition I think you can actually set up to 10 or possibly even 15. If you still require a wider pulse then using Sherline Mode (Ports and Pins main page) will give you a 40uS(I think) pulse width.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
Bivouac - a question for you. Have you tried doing a feedhold whilst your machine is actualy cutting? - just wondering.

Ian
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:21:14 PM by stirling »