Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:00:28 AM

Author Topic: Newbie wanting advice on buying a cnc router  (Read 3182 times)

Newbie wanting advice on buying a cnc router
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
Help! Been looking at various cnc routers on the net and found a site in Hong Kong selling cnc routers. Wanted to know if anyone has had experience with these machines and how user freindly they are? I'm an absolute newbie, my only experience with cnc routers is watching them at work. The website is http://www.iehk.net/Products/CNCIEC1212.html. They offer the Mach3, Artcam software with the machine at USD3,500.00 and a probe 3D scanner at USD1,000.00
We plan to manufacture fibreglass components from fibreglass sheeting laid up to spec and then cnc routed. The components have 3D profiles and my other concern is can this machine do 3D?
Am I biting off more than I can chew? Any comments and advice will be welcome, maybe someone out there can recommend a more suitable machine?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie wanting advice on buying a cnc router
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
No experience with the router but most people pick the basics up fairly quickly and if you have any questions a post on the forum will usually get you a quick reply.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:57 AM »
I think you would be wise to get some 'hands-on' experience, perhaps with a low cost smaller machine, before committing to buy any new machine.

From my experience profile cutting the edges of fiberglass circuit boards, the edge finish is not that great and tool wear is fairly high. My best results have been using a negative helix solid carbide and MDF sacrificial backing board but there have got to be better ways.

There is a lot to learn and this is why I suggest getting experience first - could save yourself a lot of cash.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »
I'm an absolute newbie...........Am I biting off more than I can chew?

I second what Tweakie posted. Enjoy the learning curve. new machine, new controlling program, new software.......it not just plug and play and
the killer is in the detail of it all.

RICH