Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:16:42 AM

Author Topic: Galil to Mach  (Read 4810 times)

Galil to Mach
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:19:21 AM »
Hallo,

I'am new with Galil and Mach. I would like to implement a handheld with MPG. I had seen the videos about Brains und had reading about it.. but can't use it without more informations...
Can somebody help me please with four brains. Thirst from Galils analog input3 to Machs feed override, second from Galils analog input4 to Machs speed override, third Galils digital input IN1+IN2(logical 1,1/0,1/1,0/0,0) to Machs Axis selection (X,Y,Z,A)  and Galilis digital input IN3+IN4(logical.....) to machs handwheel resolution (config/geneal config 0.1/0.01/0.001/0.0001/)
Cooling will be activated by IN5+IN6+IN7+IN8 logical (1/1/0/1)
Ref by logical (0/1/0/1)
I hope some can help me with the implementation.

In advance, thanks for your efforts

Regards
Claus

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Galil to Mach
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Claus,
Please see the PDF for the Galil plugin that is available on the plugin downloads page. We use a special method of running an MPG with Galil and it is described there.
Cheers,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »
Hallo Kenny,

the MPG is ok over the secondary encoder channel. Bur how can I handle Galils analog and digital inputs in Mach. As I discribed I need AI1 and ANI for overwrite the feed and speed parameter and a combination of digital inputs IN1/IN2 for Axis selection, IN3/IN4 for resolutiion settings of the handheld and IN5-IN8 for setting cooling, Homing and so on. How can I map the AN and IN into mach. I can't find the variables into mach to read out the Galils ports.
Regards
Claus

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
In the Galil Plugin Manual, there is a section on Analog Inputs.  You configure the Mach user DRO range on the General tab of the Galil Plugin Configuration Dialog.  Some Galil have up to 8 analog inputs, so if you tell the plugin to use user DRO 1000 as the start of the user DRO range, then Galil analog input 1's value will be placed in user DRO 1000, Galil analog input 2's value will be placed in user DRO 1001, etc...

Steve

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:25 AM »
Steve,

thanks for your help. I have mapped the analog inputs, it works fine. Can I map the digital inputs like Galils IN1 to IN8 to mach?

Regards
Claus

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »
Claus,
The digital inputs can be mapped to Mach using the format spelled out in the PDF file. In some cases you'll need to write a brain file to utilize the logic in Mach. Poppabear has an excellent document on brain files. You can find it in the user docs section of this forum.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I have a New Machine running Mach3 and a Galil DMC21/3 board it has old firmware on the board. I am posting from CamWorks using a Mach3 post but the machine runs real jerky like it is taking a long time to calculate the move. Could this be due to the old version of firmware? If so how do I update the firmware?
Looking for any help I can get

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
Enable debug output in the plugin confguration and run a program.  Then take a look at the GalilDebug.txt file.  If there are a bunch of '?' characters in the file, then the firmware is probably the problem. 

You can download the firmware from the Galil website and then upload the new firmware from the Smart Term program.

Steve