Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:06:24 AM

Author Topic: check disk  (Read 6462 times)

check disk
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:25:08 AM »
Hi does anybody know how to stop XP from performing a checkdisk operation on my old harddrive everytime I boot .

It's a long story but Ihave two hard drives one with all my old info and software  and the new one with more room .

they both are  XP with NTFS format   any ideas  its quite annoying   thanks Bob
Re: check disk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:00:15 AM »
Shouldnt do that if your shutting down gracefully ???
Does it find and repair a problem everytime it scans the drive ?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:41:08 AM »
Hi Yoda  it doesn't find anything wrong or fix anything and I go thru the shutdown process as normal. The hard drive it wants to check is my old hard drive  its just used to retrieve all my old info and proggrams I had already downloaded from work didn't want to do it again. I call it the vault because I seldom ever go there anymore but there is stuff that I do need.....Bob

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »
Hi Bob, this was driving me crazy too.   

Right click on my computer select manage
look under storage : disk management

Find the drive that is giving problems and look to see if it is healthy or basic or something that stands out as being different. right click on it and it should give you some option to convert or repair. select this and it will not give you any more chk dsk.

Sorry i can't remember the exact operation, it doesn't give me that option without the drive being funky. I also did this about a year ago out of frustration at having to chk dsk every time and don't remember exactly what thigs were called.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to back up to the drive that is working just in case. Don't format anything or delete any partitions and you should be ok.

Chad
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:53:44 AM »
Hey thanks Chad I'll try that when I get home 
Bob

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 12:07:28 PM »
XP will do that if you do a motherboard swap, existing drive with XP installed and you install into a new/ different computer. Have to keep motherboards and drives together unless you can reinstall XP.

Hood

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 12:29:23 PM »
DAlgie
 thats never happened with me and I do that quite a lot when I am repairing computers of friends and family.
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:23:39 PM »
Hmm, hapened with me last time I tried it, and got the info about it from a reliable source, and it fixed mine. Guess you never know when it has to do with Microsoft.

Hood

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
Just reading your post again and I am not too clear on what you are meaning.
Are you meaning putting a drive (with XP) in another computer but not booting from it (slaving it). Or are you meaning putting it in another computer and keeping it as the operating system drive. If the latter then if it has a different chipset on the motherboard a repair will sort this out, there is also another method which involves deleting keys in the registry to remove the links to the types of hardware so that on boot up it will search and load the correct drivers.

But as you say Microsoft OS can be weird at the best of times.
Hood

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 06:19:58 PM »
I bought a new drive and case for the computer for my CNC lathe retrofit and couldn't fit the case in the enclosure for the lathe. So, I tried to just do a case with motherboard swap, swapped the drives essentially. Thing would go into a check disk and never really move past it. Turns out that you have to keep drives that have existing XP installs and their motherboard/ chipsets together. XP sets itself up with the chipset it finds and doesen't like to use a different chipset as you might use if you swap out to a different motherboard.