Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:57:09 AM

Author Topic: working in simulation mode  (Read 6751 times)

working in simulation mode
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
okay - dumb question about simulation mode...

Watching videos, reading things, etc, I was under the impression that I could pretty much fully simulate a machine, down to the inputs. So I set up my hot keys to act like the home switches - went to diagnostics and watched them light up. Then I started playing with trying to ref home and such. Worked in the video like a champ. But when I press my home 'hot key' - which I watch light up in diagnostics, the reference just keeps going.  As a matter of fact, I even have it tied to the limit switches as well (so all light up, as if the entire axis' limits were tied together), but nothing happens.

Did I misinterpret the way simulation mode works or is there some basic configuration I'm missing?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: working in simulation mode
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »
Please attach your xml and I will have a look at your config.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »
Ring any bells Hood? Hint Hint  :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:26:50 AM »
Ring any bells Hood? Hint Hint  :)

Ha ha , no not at all, just a lot easier looking at the config to find the problem rather than asking a load of questions. Must be getting lazy in my old age ;D

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:43 AM »
Not sure if you're pulling my leg  ;D

He's in simulation mode i.e. I'm betting he hasn't loaded the driver. THC, probing, limits and homing are all in the driver.

doncaruana: Load the driver (and reboot) even though your not connected to a machine and they'll be "emulatable" with keys. Although the diagnostics show the keypresses, without the driver nothing happens.

Ian
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:35:57 AM by stirling »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:40:54 AM »
Ha ha, no but you have the answer there, I have never installed without the driver. Just tested by deleting the driver and like you say it wont work. I have always just loaded the driver when installing Mach even though I have not used it for a long time, dont see the point of not doing so.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:00:06 AM »
I think the problem is that the vids suggest you don't need the driver if you're just emulating which of course is wrong for things like this. In the early days (before I knew about issues like this) I chose not to install the driver on a simulation system because I also had a printer on the PP and thought (wrongly) that they couldn't co-exist.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
striling - you are right about why the driver wouldn't be loaded. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that not loading the driver would put you in simulation mode anyway, although obviously a limited version.  So I chose not to load it, but...the machine I'm trying to simulate on doesn't have a parallel port, so the mach3 install won't load the driver even when I ask it too! So what do I do in that case? Sounds like I'm just out of luck...?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
Mach will load the driver whether or not your computer has a port.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
Hm. On this machine, when I tried to install it with the parallel port driver, it says "No driver sensed installed. Run driver test". Get the exact same behavior when I run driver test.

But I did go do it on another machine with no parallel port and this time selected the driver and it's working there.

Not too worried about original machine - think I know what's up there. Thanks guys!