Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:47:15 AM

Author Topic: Stepper Motor Rings/No Movement.  (Read 3906 times)

Stepper Motor Rings/No Movement.
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
I have a homemade cnc router with 3 axis. Breakout board connected to parallel port via 25 pin cables (two cables connected as adaptors). I set ports and pins correctly(I really believe this). When I hit any jog button (+x, -x, +z, etc.) no motor actually turns but I hear it turn. When I hit the +y nothing happens. When I hit the -y in Mach3 it rings constantly until I hit the +y and it shuts off. Sound familiar to anyone?

Jon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper Motor Rings/No Movement.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:19 AM »
Sounds like you may have the motor tuning way off , have yolu calculated the steps per unit correctly? Try setting the Velocity and Acceleration low and work your way up.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I switched out the dual cables for 1 cable and a female/female adaptor to fit my breakout board. I restarted the computer while the the board was powered and plugged into the parallel port. This time the motors stayed locked long enough for me to move the z up and down. I tried switching the ports/pins for the other axis', thinking they were incorrect, and the motors turned off/unlocked. I had no control over z anymore, let alone any other axis. I feel i am getting closer to a solution but could use more insight, please. Thanks!

Jon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
What breakout board do you have?
What drives do you use?
Did you build it yourself?
Sounds like you are just needing to configure things correctly in Mach.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »
I have the TB6560, 3 axis driver board. Desktop pc 512G Ram, using Mach3. Homebuilt CNC, gantry-type router, 400 oz. steppers, full stepping. I was thinking about buying a smooth stepper to plug into USB.

Jon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:45 AM »
Do you have a link to documentation for the driver? Also worth checking that your port cable is straight through rather than a crossover.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
I figured it out. Sometimes it is a good idea to explore the program yourself rather than relying on the people who sell you the equipment. I asked the seller if I needed to adjust the output signals(which was the problem) and he said "no need to". What I did was turn on some output signals in mach3 and it worked. Thanks for the help!

Jon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
Good you got it :)
Hood