Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:55:17 AM

Author Topic: not circle that is a polygon  (Read 13184 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: not circle that is a polygon
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »
I am retrofitting a 20 year old industrial lathe which has few hours of work on it (it belonged to a university).

Interesting, mine was the same, came from Hull Uni I believe and was used for testing the longevity of carbide v ceramic v CBN inserts I think.

Hood
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »
Discussion was interesting about the license  ;D
Surprise opponent

Amir
**Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day**

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Amir
strange choice of words, well to be honest not really when its you that said them ;)
The new licensing scheme will make it much more difficult to run Mach from a pirate licence ;)

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
Didn't know there were so  many pirate licences out there. And that is for a reasonably priced software that anybody who can afford buying a couple of motor drives for his machine should be able to afford the cost of Mach3. Just hard to imagine what could have been if Mach was priced in the range of some of the leading CAD programs.

Daniel
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
EMC would be a lot more popular.  LOL. 

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
:D Probably so

Daniel

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
I am curious about Mach´s resolution with simultaneuous movements in X and Z. Maybe the limitation would be related to the steps/per configuration

My engraving machine steps per inch is 253360. Resolution is 1/253360=0.000004" but practicaly speaking it's around 0.000040", but then i had difficulty actualy measuring and confirming that, so i will just just say that you can check a .0001" indication with 10 jog steps.
 To bad the spindle with the  sharpest point can only scribe a .004 or so line width as that limits the heigth of the engraving.

As far as the lathe goes, when i was doing threading tests,measurements were done on the scribed lines to .0001". The Z lathe axis steps per unit are
20320, thus resolution is under a tenth, so lets just say 0.0001". That can be confirmed easily over different  increments / total length or whatever.
Now the X axis is 12700, thus it's resolution is like half the Z , but that X axis screw is a high grade ball screw and can match the Z any day of the week.

But practicaly speaking, all of the above means nothing, if at the end of the machining, the shaft is bigger than the hole and won't go in.... ;D

RICH
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:31:48 PM by RICH »
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
One thing worth thinking of, for internal holes at least just using a large cutter will virtually eliminate any steps in the edges.

I wasn't aware that pirated licenses caused such miserable problems, it's a rather dramatic security measure :/ My machine was fitted with a new computer a few weeks ago, increasing the pulse speed and making rather better progress, but the computer has since packed up and died causing a great deal of misery. I think it was just a crappy computer rather than license issues. I did have a license on the old computer but ti disn't seem to install properly on the new one and it stayed in demo mode. Odd.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »
One thing worth thinking of, for internal holes at least just using a large cutter will virtually eliminate any steps in the edges.

I wasn't aware that pirated licenses caused such miserable problems, it's a rather dramatic security measure :/ My machine was fitted with a new computer a few weeks ago, increasing the pulse speed and making rather better progress, but the computer has since packed up and died causing a great deal of misery. I think it was just a crappy computer rather than license issues. I did have a license on the old computer but ti disn't seem to install properly on the new one and it stayed in demo mode. Odd.

If you read post number 10 you will see I think it is more likely nothing to do with the pirate version. Having said that there is no telling what a hacked driver or code will do so it is definitely possible that a hacked version of Mach can act up.

As to your licence issue, if you have copied over the Mach1Lic.dat and placed it in the Mach3 directory it should work fine, if it doesnt then contact Scott at  license@machsupport.com with your purchase details and I am sure you will get sorted out with a replacement.

Hood