Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:43:01 PM

Author Topic: Driver watch dog?  (Read 3635 times)

Driver watch dog?
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:34:02 PM »
Hello,
Can someone tell me what "Driver watch dog triggered" means?  Please
Thanks

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver watch dog?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
It is just a watchdog that is looking for glitches of your computers dealings with Mach. I think it was really a tool Art put in for his own purposes in finding problems and any advice I have seen from Art with regards to people getting the watchdog is to turn it off. In most cases I think it is  triggered by the graphics of the toolpath.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
Thanks Hood...It showed up in the middle of a cut and I was just wondering what it was.

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Thats unusual, seems there may be an issue with your computer and Mach, it normally only shows up when loading code or wizards etc. Where you doing anything to the screen at the time such as rotating the toolpath or even changing pages of the screen?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
Hi, the WatchDog is the same as the option in GeneralConfig UseWatchDog?. I always disable this to avoid stalls caused by internal problems of the PC, but amazingly is reactivated only every twenty days or so, I'm always pulling it out.

regards
Renato
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
I think the watchdog is trigger when the main kernel loop is not serviced fast enough.  That is if you using CPU cycles for doing other things than processing G-Code and updating the ports and pins ( like moving the tool display while running ). 

Your Mach3 kernel speed might be set to high for your PC/CNC System.

JH