Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:03:23 AM

Author Topic: machine Config  (Read 4745 times)

machine Config
« on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:23 AM »
I read in the “DID YOU KNOW” section of the forum that the only way to save your machine settings or config is to do screen shots and save them as a graphic.

This seems a little backwards, surely there is a way of saving the config ? if not then a facility to do so should be a prime candidate for desired features.

I have just converted an old Tom Senior miller to CNC and spent some time calibrating and tuning the system, hence the question.

Does anyone know if the mach3 settings are stored in a single file ?

Cheers all

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: machine Config
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »
I think you misunderstood, I have not read it but I think what the post would have been meaning was to save copies for your own reference you could do screenshots and print them.

Mach saves the majority of its config settings in a xml file and also keeps backups of this xml. Tooltable and Fixture offsets are also saved but they are saved in a couple of dat files.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:26:13 AM »
Hi Hood
thanks for the update. I am new to mechanical engineering hence joining the forum.
Do you know which files to save ? the reason for asking is that I have to rebuild the PC and would find it easier to reload mach3 and then replace the config file, or as you say xml file.

cheers
TomSenior

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:10:35 AM »
You will find the xml file in the main Mach3 folder, it will have the name of the profile you are using. So for example if you are using the standard Mill profile then it will be called Mach3Mill.xml. If you have a custom named profile then it will be the xml file with that name.

The tooltable is stored in the tools3.dat and the fixtures in fixtures.dat and you will find these in the macro folder of the profile you use, so for example using the standard mill profile you would find them in C:\Mach3\macros\Mach3Mill    folder.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
Ok, all understood, will take a look in the folders later. I have not created any custom configs, so I guess the files will be in the default names which you have kindly given.

I downloaded the freebe just to get the machine calibrated and fee of bugs, plus climb the learning curve.
I am quite impressed and it works with the Gcode our panel design software chucks out as a bonus.
So next is to tidy up the wiring and make a push button interface to use when CAM not required, then reinstall mach3

Thank you for your help Hood
cheers
TomSenior

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
No probs, hope you get things up and running quick :)
Hood

Offline tmead

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Hi Folks,

I've found these files, but can't open them ? Even with EditPlus i can't extract any obvious info.

We have a machine running offsite at a subcontract facility, and I have a complete copy of the mach3 directory. We're looking at setting up a second machine and I'd like to use similar fixture and tool setups for the development.

Any tips on looking up the data ?

Tim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 06:17:15 AM »
Open them from within Mach and you can see whats in them (tool table and offsets ) For the xml again use Mach to view your settings or if you wish use Jasons xml reader.
Hood

Offline tmead

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks Hood. I'll have to copy them into the same location on my screen development computer and see what's there.

Tim