Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:57:01 AM

Author Topic: LazyCam  (Read 4138 times)

LazyCam
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
We are still deciding on what control software to use but Lazycam is looking good for the g code.  Is it possible to just purchase Lazycam pro as a stand alone package?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: LazyCam
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
Is it possible to just purchase Lazycam pro as a stand alone package?
Yes, LazyCam will post the gcode to a text file and can be run standalone. You should try LC and see if is the right software for you / your use and there are others out there which you should try, and then the choice is yours. Have a look at the last page ( 122 ) in the LazyCam Manual

What control software you use is again a decision that you must make.  There certainly are a lot of users that think it's the best around. ;)

RICH
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »
Thank you Rich! 

I downloaded Lazycam and it seems to be what I am looking for but I am still having one problem.  For things like cutting outlines, pockets, and other 2d items, I seem to be doing just fine.  However, I can't seem to figure out how to have the CAM software(s) to fillet, chamfer, or other tapper operations. 

Example:

Not the only thing we need to do but when I create a guitar body in 2d and make the pockets that seems to work fine.  But I seem to be limited to flat surfaces.  I want to be able to have curved faces such as Les Paul guitars.  This is just an example though. 

Another example would be a city scene with raised/ curved faces. 

When I try to make it in Autocad and save it as a DXF it wont import.  It says no entities found.   

Here is another video example of what we need to be able to do. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI70AjVbKbQ

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
But I seem to be limited to flat surfaces.  I want to be able to have curved faces such as Les Paul guitars.

You need a 3D CAM program. Loot at MeshCAM, or Vectric's Cut3D. You might also want to look at Vectric's Cut2D, which is far superior to LazyCAM imo.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:17 PM »
But I seem to be limited to flat surfaces.  I want to be able to have curved faces such as Les Paul guitars.

You need a 3D CAM program. Loot at MeshCAM, or Vectric's Cut3D. You might also want to look at Vectric's Cut2D, which is far superior to LazyCAM imo.

Thank you, I will check them out.  I like the look of MeshCAM but I'm not looking forward to dropping the cash.  Not that it is that bad compared to some I have been looking at. 

Why doesn't LazyCAM do more 3d objects? 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »
Why doesn't LazyCAM do more 3d objects?
Only good for 2D, so as Gerry suggested, you need get a more advanced software than LC for what you want to do.
LC development was stopped some time ago. Back to "dropping the cash" my friend...........

RICH