Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:44:51 PM

Author Topic: Trying to get max use out of limited resources :)  (Read 3500 times)

Trying to get max use out of limited resources :)
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »
Is it possible to get all the push buttons, proximity sensors and a zero probe to all work with just one BoB??

Pin 10 - Emergency Stop Push Button
Pin 11 - Start Push button (triggers oem code 1000)
Pin 12 - Pause Push button (triggers oem code 1001)
Pin 13 - Auto Zero (starts an auto zero routine (big tex mach blue mod)
Pin 15 - Proximity Sensors

Pin ?? - Probe

I was thinking (Something I probably shouldn't do) if there was a way to have pin 13 (Auto Zero) trigger a macro that could temporarily disable one of the buttons so the probe could use that particular input, ie pushing auto zero disables the the start circuit and lets the probe use pin 11 until the zero routine is finished, then it goes back to normal once the machine completes the routine.  Don't know how to go about it though.  Maybe someone could slap some reality into me, or help me figure this out.  I am gonna cross post this over on the Mach forums too.

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:27:20 PM by zigmart »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get max use out of limited resources :)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
Easiest thing to do would be to get a PCI parallel port.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
HUM I think Hood has the best advice. If you are using a PCI card and just have that one PCI slot available just get a doubleport card.

The only other option is to use the estop pin to probe with. You should have your Estop circuit setup to kill the drives and power to the drives and SPINDLE. Notifing Mach does not gain anything AS your positioning is already lost when you stop the drives and remove power AND the machine will not move even if mach(computer) keeps running.

This would free up a pin IF $$$$ resources were that tight.

Just a thought,
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
I really think that a brain could be made with a timer that a short button (1 sec) and a longer (2-3) does another.  I would most likely go with out the button for the auto zero and just run it from the screen.  Really money isnt the problem, but The computer that runs this does not have a slot for another card (atom board)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:57 AM »
Really money isnt the problem, but The computer that runs this does not have a slot for another card (atom board)

Then I would say look into a PoKeys, 55 I/O of which 3 can be analogue. You could then have the parallel port handle things that are time critical such as limits/E-stop etc and use the PoKeys for switches, FRO/SRO pots etc.

Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
1 pin home & limits
1 pin E stop
1 pin probe and touch plate (switch states when switching between the 2)
What buttons are you referring to?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)