Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:31:49 AM

Author Topic: Controller for New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver  (Read 49211 times)

Hood

Re: Controller for New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 04:21:47 PM »
Look forward to your future posts, I think you will like Mach :D

Hood
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 05:41:35 PM »
Update: I completely removed the dedicated Vanguard controller and replaced it with a 3-axis Xylotex drive. I am currently in the process of defining all the I/O and setting up the axes parameters. One problem that I ran into was that the Mach3 was seeing Limit Switches made when there were none. I traced the problem to noise from the steppers getting into the limit switch wires. I solved the problem by placing a .047 uF capacitor on each limit switch input to the Xylotex drive board. I mounted the Xylotex drive and the 24V power supply right on the engraver unit frame.

As soon as I have the entire system tuned and working properly, I'll snap a few photos and post them here.
Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
UPDATE: My project is finished!  Please refer to the three photos shown below. MACH3 resides on an older ThinkPad laptop, and connects via the Parallel Port to my 3-Axis Xylotex stepper controller which I mounted on the rear portion of the Engraver chassis. The cooling fan is held in place by a couple of springy metal clamps that I glued to the fan and they grip the controller heatsinks without glue or fasteners (which would void the manufacturer's warranty).  I mounted the 24 volt power supply underneath the Engraver chassis. I also added a solid-state relay (you can see it mounted in the bottom photo between the 24 volt power supply and the rotory motor capacitor) which is used to control the rotory motor.

I'm very happy the way this project turned out, and I would be happy to answer questions from anyone else who may be working on a similar type of project.

Some people are like a Slinky -- not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you shove it down a flight of stairs.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »
Hello,

I just bought a New Hermes Vanguard 3000 with no control.  I would like to retro fit like you did.  If I bought the Xylotex stepper controller would you share your config file for mach 3 which I have to purchase a copy of as well.
Bill@wulkaninduction.com
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
Mind posting something you made with the unit hooked to Mach3?  I am curious to see what you are engraving.

Thanks

Dan
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 09:23:59 PM »
Hello,

I just bought a New Hermes Vanguard 3000 with no control. I would like to retro fit like you did. If I bought the Xylotex stepper controller would you share your config file for mach 3 which I have to purchase a copy of as well.
Bill@wulkaninduction.com

Sure! Let me know when you are ready for it and I'll Email a copy of my config file.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
Mind posting something you made with the unit hooked to Mach3? I am curious to see what you are engraving.

Thanks

Dan

You can see a couple of items in the pictures. I bought a bunch of colored aluminum blanks from an Ebay seller. I use a diamond scribe for making name tags and business cards, etc.  I recently converted my engraver to a Laser Engraver. I mounted a couple of mirrors on it, along with a focusing lens. I have my 50 Watt CO2 Laser aimed at the mirrors, and it does a great job. My only problem right now is I can not control the Laser power. It's on full power all the time, so the items that I can engrave and cut with it are very limited. I will be working on controlling the power as time permits.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Hello agian,

I ordered the Xylotek 4 axis controller beacuse I might want a dedicated axis for rotation under spindle.
I guess to engrave pencils, anyways I am very interested in your laser project.  Did you build from kit?
Finally, do you know where I can purchase cutters for the Vanguard 3000.

Thanks for all your posts they are very informative, I will let you know when I am ready for your config file.

bill@wulkaninduction.com

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 01:05:27 PM »
Hello agian,

I am very interested in your laser project. Did you build from kit?
Finally, do you know where I can purchase cutters for the Vanguard 3000.

I bought the 50 Watt Laser tube from an Ebay seller. I built the power supply myself from scavenged X-ray parts, and a capacitor that I bought on Ebay. It looks like a Frankenstein setup, but it works! When I use the Laser, I do not use any Z-axis moves, but rather I use M3 and M5 (Spindle ON/OFF) as my Laser ON/OFF control signal. Later, when we are corresponding via Email, I'll attach some pictures of my Laser system.

Regards,
Mike "xray_man"

If you want to contact me directly, my Email address is:  mike at amerytel dot net  (I spelled out my address to fool the Spammer programs that seek out Email addresses on bulletin boards).

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:17:14 PM by xray_man »
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
Hello xray man,

In reference to retrofit Vanguard 3000

My Xylotek board should be here today or tommorow and I just looked at one of the plugs for the servo and it has 10 wires.  They are a Crouzet 5.4 volt 1.8 step. 89904071

I assumed this was an open loop system.  Can you help me with wire info for motors,  please.

Thanks,

wulkan