Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:27:12 AM

Author Topic: mach 3 set-up has me stumped  (Read 6074 times)

mach 3 set-up has me stumped
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
Hi folks, I could sure use some help w/mach3 set-up. Im using Win 7 32 bit to control my new Taig 3000dsls. I had to install a pci card for the printer port at lpt3 and change the address in port 1. I use Rhinocam 2 Pro for cad and the Mach 3 mm post that came already in the program & Mach 3 ver. r3.042.040. When I run the sample G codes everything works fine but when I bring in an .nc from Rhinocam the mill wants to cut in inches, not mm's no matter how the units or the G code are set. Editing g-code changes the numbers but not the units. Will a different post or .xml be the solution ? Thanks for any help you can give .JimiG
Re: mach 3 set-up has me stumped
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
G20 is inches and g21 is milimeters.
Should be on the first line of the G-code

If your cam software is using the wrong one then you will need to change your post.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply... Tried that first with no change. My post is in G21. Editing has no effect  Jimi

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »
Do you have mach3 setup to run in inches or MM???

The setting is in under the config tab, then set native units.
This way the mill will be setup for MM. You will then have to set your setps per under the motor config tab.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:47:49 PM »
Thanks again , I do appreciate your help.  There is something else going on. G20-G21 is not it. Seems every time I start a new session something else is messed up. I am beginning to think I need to scrap Win 7 & go back to XP.

Offline ASC

•  59 59
    • View Profile
    • Automation Systems
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
I was using Rhinocam and had the same problem!
My workaround was scaling the model by 0.03937, effectively making 1 inch = 1 mm!  I'm sure it was a setup issue but we switched to mastercam before we had a chance to investigate further
Mr. Creosote
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Thanks again , I do appreciate your help.  There is something else going on. G20-G21 is not it. Seems every time I start a new session something else is messed up. I am beginning to think I need to scrap Win 7 & go back to XP.

I am running win7 on my mill and I have had no problems so far but ymmv.

Mike
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
Guess I'll try a newer post, and then a re-install on the mill computer before I wipe the drive and start over w/ a new OS. Thank for help guys. Jimi
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
You could post the g-code that is giving you problem and I could take a loook at it.

Mike