Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Probing and touch plates - your MSM experience?  (Read 45543 times)

Re: Probing and touch plates - your MSM experience?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
Are you wondering about where to get the +5v shown in the manual sample schematic?

Since the entire circuit sits between the input devices and the BoB inputs, the +5v and the Gnd for the schematic are those of the "machine side" of the BoB (not the PP side of the BoB).

The 74LS06 IC is an open collector device. It will not try to apply an input voltage to the input pin of the BoB - the Open collector device looks like a normally open switch to the input pin.

The sample circuit essentially puts 3 inputs in parallel. The probe input (the design assumes the probe is active high TTL levels) and two active low touch plates (N.O. probe plates) are combined into a single "wire-or'ed" result which is feed to the BoB input pin.

Please realize the schematic is a sample, intended to convey the logic needed. While it's actually the circuit I used on my machine, it is not a 100% complete circuit diagram. For example the schematic does not show things like a +5 filter network on the incoming voltage supply lines, or decoupling caps at the IC Vcc supply pin etc...

That level of detail would lead us back to "have a competent electronics guy whip one up for you".

Dave
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:57:51 PM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
The 74LS06 IC is an open collector device. It will not try to apply an input voltage to the input pin of the BoB - the Open collector device looks like a normally open switch to the input pin.
Dave I totally missed that one (74LSO6 IC). I was only seeing the resistors. I gathered the power was going to have to come from the machine side to keep the isolation however I do appreciate the clarification. I will have to look into where to get a prebuilt circuit like that. I could still use my probe and run thru your routines til then I would think. It would be cool to have all 3 implemented. Is there a way for a tools diameter to be measured and updated similar to the length? Seems like a round hole of a known size could do it. I am still working on getting the probe to work correctly in your screens. Works fine as a G31 but seems to do something wrong in your probing routines. More settings, I am sure.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
are you using a PP or a SS?
Some bugs with probing and mach and a SS have been identified that make things screwy when using a SS - see the beta 5 relerase notes.

FYI - I've taken the liberty of pointing several of the Mach 3 hardware vendors to this thread as an example of the need for a "probe input expansion" product.

As more people want to add multiple digitizing devices, I expect more people to want to just buy an accessory to solve the need.

Dave

www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
I am using a PP, mach .016, Beta 5 of MSM and Xp pro. A device to connect the touch plates and the existing probe would be great. Can they get 1 here this week? I think the issues with the probing so far are set up issues or operation. It does stop and retract just fine. It just doesnt seem to go far enough even though the distances specified are plenty large to accomodate it.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
Ok set up the probe and unchecked the active low. In tool 250, I called it a probe at 3' in length and a diameter of .155.  I insert the probe into the middle of a hole and use the centering probe icon in the wc page. It moves in 1 direction touches and just goes a little past the start point and then says X+ is out of range. If I use it as an X+ edge finder it seems inconsistent. Usually it returns to the same place but it occasionally seems to retract the specified distance. ?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
he, he, Really, a 3' probe?
I assume you meant to type 3" - but I chuckled over the image it conjured up.    :o

BTW- check also that TLO value - if you are setting it by touch off, I'd expect that to be a negative value.

There are several things you could be seeing - your post caused me to extend a little probing "how to guide" I had partially written in response to questions from others. I have now posted the guide so that others looking for a series of debugging steps to follow will be able to find it easily.

Please read the new sticky post I put up here
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15646.0.html

Please work thru the steps in the "how to guide" and let me know what you find.
We can then work from there.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:41:18 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »
I called it a probe at 3' in length and a diameter of .155. Havent you heard of A2ZCNC's Monster Mill? :-) I have worked thru the beginning steps with out too much problem. It seems that pressing the "probing ver" is essential after changing any screens. Or at least I dont see the "probing ver xx.x" at the top of the screen after a switch. Not sure if it effects anything but I do get some inconsistencies. I will keep working thru your steps. All of my + & - probing worked fine in single step mode. However when probing an edge (which I am not sure I understand yet) it does some inconsistent actions. Again thank you so much for your help and the manual. I have not read the probing guide the whole way thru but I will get it working if at all possible.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »
Clicking "probing ver" (on the settings-common page) is not required between probing operations.
If a prior operation resulted in an error, clicking "Probe Op Reset" (on the probing page) resets the error indicators.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:56:42 AM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:25 AM »
Hi Dave,

I am having some wierd issues with probing.
It doesn't matter which direction that I probe in.

It starts the probe, touches, and then pauses for a second, and then starts stepping the opposite direction forever until I hit estop.

Here is the error log:
Tue - 21:38:43 ---
Tue - 21:38:44 ---Calling PLC to Probe toward X- ...
Tue - 21:38:48 ---Probe Ignore, activated at call for probe.
Tue - 21:38:57 ---EStop Button Pressed.

I am running:
Mach 3: Version R3.043.016
MSM: 0.3.2
PP

Thanks,

Denzil
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
Hi Dave,

I am having some wierd issues with probing.
It doesn't matter which direction that I probe in.

It starts the probe, touches, and then pauses for a second, and then starts stepping the opposite direction forever until I hit estop.

Here is the error log:
Tue - 21:38:43 ---
Tue - 21:38:44 ---Calling PLC to Probe toward X- ...
Tue - 21:38:48 ---Probe Ignore, activated at call for probe.
Tue - 21:38:57 ---EStop Button Pressed.

I am running:
Mach 3: Version R3.043.016
MSM: 0.3.2
PP

Thanks,

Denzil

Forgot to add that this only happens when I have a "Probe Slow FR" set to something other than 0.

Thanks