Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:11:30 PM

Author Topic: Running other things at the same time as Mach3  (Read 11403 times)

Running other things at the same time as Mach3
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
I have searched around a little, but havn't found an answer. Sorry if this is a redundant question.

I am getting a new PC that will be use to run a K2 Milll/Plotter with Mach3.

I need to be able to run Agilent Vee Pro on the same machine as I am going to use it to control the Mach3 software.

I know that the Mach 3 docs state that you shouldn't have other things running like virus protection etc, but this was written back when computers were much slower.

My question is this...

If I get a new, modern, PC with an I7 processor, will I be able to actually run mach3/Plotter and another program at the same time? I would also like to have a virus protection as well because that is the only way my IT guy will let me put this computer on the Network, which I need to be able to transfer files etc. But at a minimum, I would need the Mach 3 and the Agilent Vee running at the same time.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Running other things at the same time as Mach3
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Personally I run AntiVirus on my machines and have no problems but I also dont use anything else on the computers, they are dedicated to the machines. I suppose its just try and see if you really need to run both.
Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
The answer is 'it depends'. I would absolutely NOT try any program that required much processor or system resources along side Mach wen using the parallel port driver. If your using a motion control board then what Mch is doing is far less time critical. If Agilant Vee Pro goes in and futzs with system timers then you may be out of luck as well. I also have an anti-virus program on all my machines. Some of them, like McAfee, will just up and decide to start scanning everything which can be a bad thing if Mach is running. I also set automatic update to 'Notify Only' so I can download and install updates when I want and not in the middle of cutting parts.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »
Ah yes, I use AVG and it always updates when you first boot up so no issues there, also have scans disabled so again no issues.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
I disconnect my computer from the internet when I am running Mach3. I had McAfee Security Suite through Comcast. They're automatic updates would interfere with Mach3. Once disconnected from the internet, the updates have to wait. Comcast has since switched to Norton, but I still disconnect. I also have ArtCAMPRO on the same computer. Absolutely cannot run the two simultaneously. ArtCAM makes Mach3 have a nervous breakdown. Bottom line is run Mach3 alone, run the other programs when your machining is finished.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
Well concidering I have to use Vee to control Mach 3 I need at least those two programs to run at the same time. I am hoping that since I am just sending the plotter to a location, then taking a measurement, then moving it to the next position, this is not very taxing. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
Scott, I think you'll probably be OK. The big issue is with things interfering with the parallel port drivers need for speed. I have an old PC in my shop (1.3 Ghz single core) that I have for virus protection running on and it is connected to the network with a USB wireless dongle. I can get by with this because I use an external motion control board. I've had customers give themselves fits by streaming the Gcode from a network drive, while surfing the Internet, while cutting parts. Even with an external motion control card that is asking a lot. Let us know how it works.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline TDA

•  1 1
    • View Profile
    • PreciseBits
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »
Hood,

I have run Avira Anti-virus, Aspire, Skype, Chome, and Mach at the same time with no issues. Although if I have something really important to cut I will only run mach.     

There are a few things I would do first though.

1. Turn off all power saving features in the bios.  (suspend, throttling, ect.)

2. If using a processor with hyper-threading turn that off as well. (it doesn't really help unless you are encoding anyway)

3. Assign CPU affinity so that you have one CPU dedicated to mach and all others to everything else.
John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up having to get a Quad-core processor instead of the new I7. The I7 mother boards do not have an on-board parralllel port, at least not any name-brand motherboards.  I didn't want to deal with an external card.

I have mach 3 and my vee program working together nicely on my desktop in "simulation" mode. I just need my new computer to arrive and I am ready to start testing this out for real.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
microsoft has microsoft security essentials, its free and very configurable.

win 7 set to high performance in power setup and updates set to 'download but let me chose when' has worked well so far but I have only been at this 4 months or so.

amd quad core cpu's(duel also) and msi boards work well for me, u will need a 10 dollar ribon cable/header for the par port

this one boots to win 7 32 and win 7 64 and ubuntu

ati 3750 workstation card

this one has

com 1-2-3
lpt 1-2-3