Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:41:39 PM

Author Topic: MPG's not working.  (Read 6229 times)

Offline MHJ

•  18 18
    • View Profile
MPG's not working.
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
Good Afternoon.

I'm running a fully licenced Version R3.042.040 Mach3 Turn and 2 MPG's. The bob is one of Peter Homanns MB-06, which (most conveniently) has led's for each input and output pin, so you can see what's going on.
When I turn either of the MPG's I can see the relevant led flashing on the bob and the dro's in the diagnostics screen are working but I'm getting no movement of either axis.
I've calibrated both MPG's and my config settings are:
MPG1: A port 1, A pin 10, B port 1, B pin 11, counts 4, velocity 280
MPG2: A port 1, A pin 12, B port 1, B pin 13, counts 4, velocity 280
Debounce is set to 2000

I sincerely hope that one of the Mach Gurus can help me with this.

Regards,
John.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: MPG's not working.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »
John,
Post your xml file.
RICH

Offline MHJ

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Here you are (I hope)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »
Have you changed to MPG mode?
Hood

Offline MHJ

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »
Ah!
no I hadn't, so many thanks Hood.
Regards,
John
(new to all this stuff)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
No probs.
Regards your MPG DRO I see it here as well. I dont use it on my lathe so no idea when it broke but one day Brian may get some, badly needed, updates done to turn  ::)

Hood

Offline MHJ

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
I hope so, one thing which would really bring Mach3 Turn up to almost industry standards would be a fully functional "teach" facility, like some of the Haas machines have.
It seems that Turn has been rather neglected in favour of the multi-axis stuff. Due to demand, no doubt.
Regards,
John.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
Hi,

Getting AftSoft to apply more resources to Mach3 Turn is a bit chicken and Egg. More people would use it if it was better supported, and it would be better supported if more people used it.

I know some of the more lathe knowledgeable users who did a lot of work testing and helping get Mach3 Turn going, have now switched to EMC2 because of the lack of progress in Mach3 Turn.

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »
John,
Glad you got it working. I use two mpg's one each for X and Z, un-calibrated / settings are for "feel"  so to speak and used for positoning and also actual cutting at times.

Peter,
It's been a long time since Turn recieved any attention in the past years. At least threading was fixed, there is an improved screen set if one wishes to use it, and hopefully LazyTurn will reach an anticipated level this year. Other than that there has been Zip!
I would have thought that the number of lathe turners would have increased greatly over the last 3 years. I don't see it based on the number of postings and actual downloaded manuals and software.

Turn is a small group as compared to mill or router users and higher ended turning software is not cheap.
I think the software is a big ticket item, yet at the hobby level the combination of Wizards, Laycam Turn, and LazyTurn you can do a heck of lot.

One of these years Turn will probably get it's  turn, but until then, I guess a few of us will just continue to yodel out not expecting to hear the echo............ SORT OF LIKE THE CLAP OF ONE HAND....... ???

RICH

I am hoping that once they get the changes done for the Mill that the transition for Turn will be much easier and faster to implement, but, until then I won;t hold my breathe.