Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:47:38 AM

Author Topic: Probing Questions  (Read 7842 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Probing Questions
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
I have questions about probing that is SOMEWHAT related to MSM but I don't want to bother Dave over there!

I have a Wildhorse probe and find it difficult to get it centered precisely. I also have a PerformanceMotion probe that's NOT adjustable for concentricity, runs out .034",  and PerformanceMotion said I'd need to calibrate it. This probing is new to me, and MSM is my first attempt to use probing. I'm having other probing issues with MSM, but Dave and I are working thru those and I'm sure we'll fix it. I'd prefer to use MSM for my foray into probing rather than rummage around for macros and writing screensets.

Does MSM's probe calibration compensate for the probe tip not being concentric with the spindle centerline or does it simply figure out the probe tip diameter? If it does compensate for runout, I'd assume one MUST indicate the bore precisely before starting the calbration routine so the routine knows where center is, and of course, orient the probe the same way all the time. MSM manual, Rev 1.1 , page 114, 7.1.3.1.2 says, "By probing a circular hole of a known size, an effective tip
diameter can be calculated. The effective tip diameter is the physical tip diameter plus compensation for angular probe tip movement when edge finding." Not sure if "angular probe tip movement when edge finding" is what I'm talking about or not.

It seems to me calibrating a probe for the tip being off center would be immensly complex, but maybe it's simpler than I imagine. If this probe calibration is simply the way it's done, how, in Mach3 without MSM, does one calibrate it short of writing macros to do it? Or are there macros commonly available for this I need to find?

If there's somewhere this info is available, just point me to it!!
--
Tom
Re: Probing Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Tom,
I doubt you will find anyone over here that knows anything about MSM....  come on home.... :D

The MSM calibration is only for effective diameter.
we can not compensate (in MSM) for the probe shaft being offset from the spindle center line. Mach would have to do that, and mach has no interfaces to support that  (there is no way to tell mach how much offset there is or in what direction the offset is).

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »
Well, YOU found me wandering aimlessly over here!! Here I didn't want to bother you so you'd be working on my other issue and here you are ;)

So I guess this does answer my question, a probe in Mach3 HAS to run concentric. That was my conclusion, but after the Performance Motion guy told me I needed to calibrate, I began to wonder!

I'll be heading home now, Dave!

--
Tom
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
what does MSM stand for?

And to hi-jack this thread... can the Mach probing wizard find the center of an outside dia of a shaft... or center of a hole only?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
MSM is MachStdMill, a new beta screenset available for Mach3 v3.043.010+. Check the Screenset forum if interested.

I can't answer your other question, I've never looked at the Mach probing wizard. I'll have to have a look!
--
Tom
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »
What are you using for your probing routines if not the wizard?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »
I got a screenset from HossMachine that I've used, but I'm new to this probing and hoped to get it working with MSM.

http://www.hossmachine.info/forum/yaf_postst7_Automatic-Tool-Probe.aspx

Last post on the first page of this thread. HossProbingToolDiameter.zip. It seems to work, but if you try it, read thru the thread.

--
Tom

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:20 AM »
Hi,
How do you log onto the Hoss Forum site to download the screensets?
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »
Following the link above takes me to the site and I can download no problem, how far can you get? do you see anything? sounds like you may have browser issues.
Hood

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »
Hi,
I get the following message when I click onto the .ZIP file/

Please do not link directly to this resource. You must have a session in the forum.

Regards,
Mauri.