Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:03:46 PM

Author Topic: Lost one of my Y Motors  (Read 2531 times)

Lost one of my Y Motors
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
One of my couplings on one of my  Y motors came loose.  After fixing the coupling I manuallyy turned my acme shaft to align the gantry.  After I realized that I had not unplugged the wires I quickly unplugged them.   After finishing the adjustment I then plugged the motors back in.  At that time only one motor runs.  I cannot find out what is causing the other motor not to operate.  I am new at this and haven't been running my machine very long.  I am using a Rockcliff 4 motor system and prewired controls and Artsoft/Mach 3 to run.  Any ideas for me to look for?  Thank you

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lost one of my Y Motors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
You may have blown the drive if you unplugged the wires to the motor.
Have a look and see if you blew a fuse associated with that drive.

YOU ALWAYS TURN THE CONTROLLER OFF FIRST / unplug it ...."BEFORE" .....OPENING THE CONTROLLER CASE AND / OR DISCONNECTING
THE WIRES FROM THE DRIVE TO THE MOTOR

NEVER..... EVER.... TOUCH THE CAPACITORS UNTIL THEY HAVE DISCHARGED DOWN ( WAITE A FEW MINUTES AFTER TURNING THE POWER OFF TO THE CONTROLLER..........( WHY? BECAUSE YOU MAY BLOW ONE OF YOUR HAND JOINTS OFF........I HAVE SEEM THIS IN PERSON AND THAT PERSON KNEW BETTER)

RICH
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:36:09 PM by RICH »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Lost one of my Y Motors
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
As Rich has said,

If you have disconnected / reconnected a motor whilst it's driver board is still live then there is a better than even chance that the driver has been damaged.

Tweakie.
PEACE