Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:50:56 PM

Author Topic: Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3  (Read 8208 times)

Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »
I unfortunately have the Imserv Servo setup for Sherline machines. I very strongly recommend against anyone getting it if you have any desire for a stable machine that just works.

I have had servo faults with this system forever. Sometimes are better than others. It is getting worse. I have the servo's set for 20 IPM and 1.5 acceleration. They have worked at 40 and 4.5 and the servo fault rate seems to be about the same.

I have a huge amount of parts that I need to get finished by Friday. With this screwball Imserv crap, I'll never get them done, much less by Friday.

Does anyone know of a off the shelf controller system that:

a. works decently
b. works with Mach 3
c. does 4 axis
d. preferably will connect to the existing servos from Imserv. (NEMA-23 mounts)
e. If D is not practical, I'll take stepper motors, new servos, whatever I need to do.

I don't need to do anything fancy. The only movement commands I use are G01 and G00. No spindle control, no coolant, just the 4 axis is what I need controlled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:17:36 AM »
If you feel that you really can't continue with the IMService setup then I would suggest replacing your servo's with steppers (these 'low cost' servo's may be the whole cause of your problems) and the drive system with Gecko's. http://www.geckodrive.com/
Just my personal opinion.  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
Servo motor's are pretty simple, as long as the encoder isn't flakey I'd be surprised your problems are coming from the motor, more likely its the servo drive and/or PC interface. If the encoders are flakey they can probably be replaced.

You may be able to keep your current servos and switch to Gecko servo drives and a breakout board like the ones from http://campbelldesigns.net/ or one of the serveral other breakout card vendors. I use a Campbell board and its worked well for me.

For the speeds you described steppers would work also, but it would be more expensive that way, and more work also to replace the motors. You'd also have to make sure your current supply voltage will work with the steppers you chose.

Paul T.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
What did IMS have to say?
RICH