Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:31:25 PM

Author Topic: 3D Printing.  (Read 16223 times)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Printing.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:44:05 AM »
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Graham,

I have not looked at that method but I did see a video of a machine doing just this where they were very cagey about how the paper layers were applied (they used sheet stock not rolls).

There are about a dozen or so (perhaps more) alternative methods all competing for the lead in rapid prototyping I wounder which will eventually come out on top ?.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »
From my observations of these machines I think the one that can make the part complete in one go with no fiddly support structures will be the winner, creating structures in fresh air has always been the sticking point for most methods, its only been in the last few years that the Zprinter and the like have really got it sorted.

http://www.thinglab.co.uk/printing_product.php?URL_=product_rapid_zcorp_zprinter_650&SubCatID_=66

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:05 AM »
Thanks Graham, thats a beauty of a machine and the quality of the work produced is, I think, second to none.

I wonder how long it will be before we can all afford to buy one (without taking out a bank loan) ?   ;D

I made the other two arms for my Z2 lift mechanism. It really looks so wierd that I just had to post a picture. (If I didn't know what it was I don't think I would ever be able to guess it's purpose)
I still have to fit the tyres to the bearings but so far and perhaps suprisingly it works exactly as expected.

(it rests on three points and supports a plate which also rests on three points - as the centre part has an internal spring, acting in torsion, it will support the weight of the top plate and the working medium whilst allowing verticall movement with a parallel motion).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
Got some more parts made – well just one part really (times 4). I have a fascination for identical parts that interlock and this seemed like a good opportunity to laser cut some 6mm acrylic for the walls of  my build jig (there is no doubt about it, a laser is the Dogs B’s for cutting acrylic). The tabs are a little on the tight side so they have not been fully pressed home yet, but this is how it will assemble and then be bonded with acrylic solvent. The lifting mechanism will sit inside and support the build table. Lots more parts to make but I am getting there slowly.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
I love acrylic boxes for some simple reason, but alas, I'm simple that way, lol!

Looks great-
Dave

EDIT: About the tightness of good fitting parts, there is nothing like the satisfaction of getting the fit "dead nuts" perfect on the first time.  ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 01:04:44 AM »
I am seriously considering a printer now. The level of work I am doing is continually getting more and more sophisticated and the "how" factor in planning milling strategies is becoming a $$ factor. I considered going 5th axis but the pathing software price for fluid 5th axis and the related PITA factor of tramming and keeping it trammed are simply not cost effective when i  only cut wax anyhow. If i cut directly to metal.. different story.

The biggest downfall printing has now for me as a jeweller is that its resolution is low and its surface finish is .. well.. retarded.. under a loupe it looks lie someone chucked up on the surface.The good surface finish stuff cannot be cast and the castable stuff is grainy. I hate technology.

:)

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
though this might be of interest to you as i was planning on looking into 3d printing.
this first link is a news report on a printer system

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8495000/8495812.stm

and this second is a link to the maker's webpage where you can by just the head which could be fitted to other m/c's
http://bitsfrombytes.co.uk/

worth a look if only for idears

martin

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »
Thanks for the links Martin.

As we have seen there are so many different ways / methods of 3D printing it would be really nice if we could get together a group with each working on a different method. Not as a competition but more of a combined technology sharing exercise and of course all driven by Mach as the common factor.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
has anyone gotten further with this. I noticed that the scouring the internet i cannot find reprap to mach3 information. I am curious if mach 3 can handle 3d printing at all?? I am willing to work together to make this work out if possible.

Thanks

Tim