Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:53:10 PM

Author Topic: 3D Printing.  (Read 16224 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
3D Printing.
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
In some ways this is a continuation of ‘The Laser Project’ but because there are many ways in which 3D Printing can be achieved I thought it perhaps deserves its own thread. The method I have decided to initially follow is that of Selective Laser Sintering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Selective_laser_melting_system_schematic.jpg

My initial model is only 2D (about 3mm thick) and was produced in just two layers using a simple stacking frame – this has, however, given me sufficient confidence to start building a larger frame or jig with a moving Z Axis base that will allow models up to 60mm deep to be produced on my existing machine without any additional modification. If this is successful, who knows?
My initial inspiration for trying this came from the Candy Fab project and more details of their progress can be found here http://candyfab.org/

Although I accept that the quality of my initial model is not very good I think that by using fusible materials which have a finer grain structures things can only get better.

I would appreciate your comments / suggestions relating to this or 3D printing in general.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: 3D Printing.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Is the goal something like these?
http://bulatov.org/metal/index.html
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »
Hi Gerry,

Perhaps in my dreams, but I think that is a little ambitious for me to start with. Maybe a little Torus is more the mark  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »
Tweaky have you tried powered sugar*********X

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion but if it's what we call 'Icing Sugar' here in the UK, then yes I did try some but it caught fire instantly  :o :o

In general the 'air assist' tends to extinguish combustion in most materials before it starts but I have this set to an extremely low level when working with powders otherwise the stuff just gets blown away.

It is perhaps interesting that photocopy toner does not ignite (at least the stuff I have didn't) and this must have similar particle size to powered sugar but it did not really produce the desired results - perhaps a mixture of the two may work ?.

Lots of possibilities to try - please keep the suggestions coming Guys - I do appreciate your help.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »
hi Tweakie

If you google 'laser sintering cardiff university' you should find some interesting stuff.

They are quite keen to show of what they do, I have been there a couple of times myself.

Brian

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »
Great work Tweaky!! I've thought about doing something along these lines too. I use FDM parts all the time for what I do. The process control on that is way too involved. Sintering I can see working. It would be neat to try some metal. Keep us posted. I have always thought it would be neat to mount a vat of something on my mill and use a 4th axis to run the Z with a laser in the spindle.

Monty

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments and the information you have provided, it is much appreciated. Please keep your input coming.

What I am trying to do here is not new, nor is it cutting edge technology, or anything like that, it has all been done already – what I am attempting to do is to show that a ‘home built’ machine running Mach 3 can make a pretty good job of doing what the professional machines costing real mega bucks are doing right now. It probably won’t be many years before we all have a 3D printer sitting on our desks but until then we just have to get by, best we can.

Friday is a slack day for me, so I have spent most of the morning making this little actuator. Internally it has a spring and it operates just like a roller blind mechanism. It’s purpose it to provide the Z2 lift for my new ‘build jig’ which is slowly progressing. More photo’s to follow soon.

Tweakie
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
If I get some more spare time tomorrow I will get the other two arms made, then this little part will be more or less complete.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »
Pretty neat stuff, Tweakie. Keep the pics coming!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."