Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Author Topic: What speed computer are you running with Mach?  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
What speed computer are you running with Mach?
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
What speed computer processors are you running with Mach? Do you Have Cad or any other technical programs running on it, too?

Also, how much memory and any special video cards?

I want to run my Cad on a separate computer and keep the Mach one stripped down and just a controller, but it would be nice to know what everyone else is doing.

Thanks ,

JAckal ;D
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: What speed computer are you running with Mach?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
1Ghz PIII with 256MB RAM and an 8 year old AGP video card. It's rock solid.

I run an old copy of AutoCAD (older versions use much less resources) and V-Carve pro on it, but don't do anything else while the machine is running.

99% of my CAD and CAM work is done on another PC, though, and g-code is transferred over my network.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
1GHz Via Pico mobos with 1Gig DDR and using the Smooth Stepper on all machines (Lathe, 2 x mills and coil winder)

CadCam on desktop and transferred by network, I believe a machines computer is for controlling the machine and thats it.

Hood

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
1.8 Ghz Dell Optiplex GX260 with 256 Mbytes (8 used by the video) not connected to the network. Have CAD and other software on the machine but I don't use anything else when a CNC program is running. Would like more memory but that is what I could get out of a free computer here at the school. Use a USB stick to transfer programs.

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »
What is the minimum that is recommended? Processor & memory. Does a better video card really help?

Thanks,

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
What is the minimum that is recommended? Processor & memory. Does a better video card really help?

Thanks,

JAckal

From the Artsoft home page

Mach3 Minimum Requirements:
32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
Basic Computer Skills (ability to copy/rename files, browse directories, etc)
Desktop PC (if using the Mach3 Parallel Port Driver - laptops are not supported because the power saving features of the chipsets disrupt the pulse stream, PCMCIA and USB parallel adaptors will *not* work.)

Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:51:59 PM »
9 years old Asus P4 1.8Ghz, 1Gba RAM, and Savage 4 Mba AGP Card, in this antique PC, Mach Sends 23779 pulse/second . Runs also Artcam PRO 9, but never when Mach is working, CAM work is done in home's Pc. Use a USB stick for file transfer. My controller is a Hobby CNC 4 axis, 305 Oz/in stepper motors.

Rene

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
My assembled Asus pc using XP is as follows:

- Asus motherboard - M2N68-AM SE2
- 2 GIG Ram
- AMD  64X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
- Asus graphics Card - EN9600GSO
- Rosewill PCI pp card - RC302

It is used to control 5 different machines ( one at a time of course  / it's on a portable stand ). I use it for CAD, CAM and any other associated machining programs. It is never internet connected, no virus protection, etc. The drive is broken up such that operating system , Mach and only min essential exist on the c: drive. Thus all the rest are on other partitions.

It's rock solid / 24998 +-1 for 25000 and and a dead flat line in the driver test. Us a serial mouse and keyboard ( not USB ) and also can use a SS.
Additionaly  use a XBOX 360 which is wireless. Machining camera is a modified Radio shack web cam.

Now on the other side of the spectrum.......An old Nec Laptop 400 mhz 256k memory with PP and works just fine but sits because it is very slow.

My Dells are good PC's , but,  just plain "suck and i mean terrible " when used for running a cnc machine.

RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
Interesting Rich, as I'm running a Dell GX270 with an ATI Rage 32Meg video card. It has the Intel P4 2.8GHz, 1 Gig of RAM and also have a second Rosewill parallel card, and runs like a champ.

I also have a gateway solo 9300 Intel Mobile PentiumĀ® III 700 MHz that has been running my new homebuilt router without issues (as of yet!  :D ).

I must say the Dell did not run well with the onboard video though  ;)

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
Hi Dave,
That's the big difference as my Dells have on-board video and it wasn't worth spending money on The GX520.
My friend has 3 or 4 different Dells than mine and they "sucked " also for cnc control.
Sorry for the "sucked" description but it is what it is and that's the best description i could provide from our experience.
I certainly don't like to bad mouth anything. Frankly i can't and won't recommend any PC other than what i had put together
as you just never know these days until you try it out.  Even when i had mine done it came with an unconditional guarantee,
Namely the maker would replace "anything" until it ran my cnc stuff satisfactorily, price difference would only be in the part cost only
Now you can't beat that kind of service / offering..........  ;)

RICH