Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:02:08 PM

Author Topic: Generating g-code for 4th axis using Unigraphics 3.0  (Read 14550 times)

Generating g-code for 4th axis using Unigraphics 3.0
« on: October 18, 2006, 03:11:58 PM »
I am new to the CNC world and have gotten a taste of creating simple programs...not easy.  I am using Unigraphics NX 3.0 and have used the manufacturing application to generate g-code for Mach3 to create simple airfoils.  We recently purchased the 4th axis for the CNC Mill and I need to see if there are any tutorials or something out there that will help me use NX 3.0 to generate the g-code to use the x,y,z, and 4th axes together.  If so, where can I find them.  I need to make...pretty much an impellar.  I have attached a picture.  As I mentioned, I am very new to the CNC world, so anything relevant will help a lot.  Thanks.

CARLOS 

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Generating g-code for 4th axis using Unigraphics 3.0
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
Wow, why not jump in at the deep end ;)

A Unigraphics training course is the best way, this one is not easy for a hardened user.

Can your CNC interpolate 4 axis simultaneous?

If it can't you are going to struggle.

The only way to do this is with ball nosed cutters and lots and lots of very small finishing cuts.

Lost wax casting looks like the way forward.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »
YOU MIGHT LOOK HERE :
http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm
Idon't know about unigraphics but this guy does 5 axis
Bob
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:14:35 PM »
I believe my CNC does interpolate 4 axis simultaneously.  How do I know?  I purchased the DSLS 3000 package along with the 4th axis from MicroProto Systems.  It works great, but I need to figure out the 4th axis problem.  Thanks.

CARLOS

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Hi Carlos,

what is the size of the impeller, O/D , length, width of a vain.

Is your control standard G -code

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:42:29 PM »
For now, we are working with small dimensions on the order of an O/D of ~19mm, length of 21mm, and width of 13mm.  these are rough estimates and may change later.  Yes, my control is standard g-code. 
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »
Heres how you know if you have 4axis simultaneous interpolation controller.

Zero your mill  and make sure that you have the room to run this code without
carshing your mill. I dont know the size of your mill or if you are working in inches or mm.
You can change the distance and feed values to suit your needs and to be safe.
Anyway if this code moves all 4 axis in unison then your good to go. When you do impellor
parts you'll find that undercuts quickly become a problem and really to deal with this a 5axis
mill is necessary, but with some work arounds and designing within the limits of the machine in mind you can produce
impellors with 4th axis.

G01 X5 Y5 Z5 A5 F10

Brian
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »
Using the provided code, all 4axes do in fact, move in unison.  I'm pretty sure the machine and the Unigraphics software are capable of handling this type of job.  It's just a matter of figuring out how to generate the g-code from Unigraphics to run all 4 at the same time.  I can get it to run the x,y, and z axes just fine.  I just don't know what settings to use in the Manufacturing Application of Unigraphics.  Thanks for the help.

CARLOS
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »
Okay...To cut a toolpath like that I would look in the machining strategies. There
should be something called 4th axis or Rotary machining, then i'm sure theres 50 different settings
under that strategy and having one box checked that shouldn't be can be the difference between
a succesful part and you crashing your machine. If I were you I'd start out with something simple
like a 2-1/2 axis or 3 axis part to help you better understand the process before you add the forth axis.
Even properly mounting the rotary table on the mill is a challenge if you dont know what your doing.
You can not just throw it on there bolt it down and start cutting with any good accuracy. It needs to be indicated
on the machine.

I dont use Unigraphics, I use MasterCAM and VisuallMill so I can't help you with specifics.
If you are that unfamiliar with the software I'd suggest you get some training or sit down
and start reading the manuals.

Brian
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »
Yo estoy usando Deskproto para poder hacer el posprocessor pero cuando lo mando hacia la maquina Microproto 3000 se mueve lento el eje 4 , y no lo he podido usar,, por favor ayuda,,