Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Mach seems to be cutting on the wrong side??? Any ideas?  (Read 10869 times)

Re: Mach seems to be cutting on the wrong side??? Any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
Thanks Hood
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:53:38 AM »
Ok guys I seem to have gotten it to cut as per the drawing, you were rite it was to do with reversing the axis ( but only one of them ) I think it was messing up before because i was reversing both of them which seems to create more trouble, currently Im using the following (which seems to follow the tool path on the mach 3 the screen perfectly )

Arrows
If i press the left arrow on my keyboard the table moves to the left (  I always thought this should be press left table goes right ? )
If I press the forward arrow on my keyboard the table moves back ( this was the way it should be anyway I believe ?)

MDI

If I type in G0X1 the table moves to the left ( as you look at it ) 1 mm
If I type in G0Y1 the table moves back ( towards you as you look at it )

Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
Left arrow and table should move right or if you think in relation to the cutter it is moving negative in relation to your work.
Right arrow and table should move left, cutter it is moving positive.
Up arrow and table should move towards you , cutter it is moving positive.
Down arrow and table should move away from you , cutter it is moving negative.

If you are at Y0 and you G0Y1 the table should move towards you as the cutter will be going positive in relation to the work.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
Hmmm everything is going in the correct direction except for the x axis but its the only way to get it to my G code file cutting correctly, do you think having the left arrow move the table left will cause me problems in the long run??

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
You can easily swap which key jogs which way and suppose its really up to you which way you have things. Standard is as said above but if you prefer the way you have it then keep it.
However if you wish to change its from Config menu then System Hotkeys. Click on X++ and a box will qppear asking you to choose which key, just click the right arrow key, next move to the X-- and this time press the left arrow key.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
having the left arrow move the table left will cause me problems

Hope my reply doesn't create confusion, but, I have the arrow keys set so that the table moves in the direction of the arrow for one XML,
then when i am doing something else ( like using a modified webcam and the image is reversed i have the arrow keys  set so the table moves again in the direction the keys point, but it's actually reversed ), but the motors are set up conventionally for using the flyout / jogging
buttons.

Never had a problem.

BTW, the goofy reason for some of this is because, say, using the XBOX 360 along with a reverse / upside down image from a microscope and tracking things with Copycat, you can't afford to get the resulting code all screwed up!

As long as key assignment makes sense to you, i guess.....
RICH
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
Thanks guys once again you helped out loads hopefully one day when I get better at this ill be able to answer a few questions myself lol

Just on a side note I have to cut about 20 of these parts the first 5 seem to have slight variations of about 0.01 - 0.1mm threw out the geometry does that seem acceptable for a bench top CNC ?( I mean its fine for the job Im doing I was just wondering if that seem bad compared to other peoples bench top set ups? ) and if so any ideas where the fault may lie?

Cheers

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
P.s the part is like 117mm x 112mm roughly 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 07:55:52 PM »
 0.01mm is fine but 0.1mm is quite a bit but depends I suppose on the machine and whether its ballscrews, has backlash etc. Really shouldnt be much variation from part to part though.
What material is it?

Hood
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
Hi Hood its 6082T6 aluminium, yep I have ball screws and have set my steps to within 0.01 or less so i was a bit confused maybe I should drop my speed a bit I was running at 150mm a min with a 6mm cutter at around 4000 rpm with a 0.5mm depth of cut no flood coolant just WD40 here and there to stop chip weld ,mind you these are some of the first proper parts I have done so ill have a play with speeds and feeds a bit

If you can think of anything to try that may improve accuracy that would be great

Many thanks