Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:46:52 PM

Author Topic: Converting a Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe to CNC  (Read 9554 times)

Converting a Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe to CNC
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
I have mostly finished converting a Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe to CNC.  So far I am very pleased with the machine.

I have posted a few pages on my web site with details. plsntcov.8m.com/CNClathe/Cnclathe1.html

Here is a photo of the finished machine

Im now finishing up some wizards for turning.

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:55:37 PM by Sam »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe to CNC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
Interesting Ron.
They are popular and I started a thread on the one my friend is converting. Only the one above knows when that will get done.

Now that i have looked at your good write up No ball screws? Where's the auto tool changer? Belt driven and no variable speed drive?  ???
What size motor are you using?

You don't know how lucky you are.........physicaly no room in my shop for a 8 x 12 !

BTW.... will you be using  the little lathe for custom interior turnings for that full size fire engine you bought a while ago.  >:D
 ;D
RICH

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:01:57 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Converting a Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe to CNC
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »
Ron,
Ball screws for the x axis are a real PITA. They are expensive and one needs to be carefull on the size of the nut since there is not much room for installing them. I used a small precision ground ball screw taken out of a positioning table and it is serving me extremely well.
For threading i took great pains to get have negligible backlash for both axes. You may want to consider using two MPG's, custom mounted
on the front carriage, sort of like a manual lathe since it feels natural and mimics manual operation, but then i just have mine on a long cord so i position the box wherever i want. That's the fun with the small machines since you can fool with them  with min work.

BTW....have a look at the modified screen set done and posted by Phil.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13548.msg88932.html#msg88932

RICH
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:28:23 PM by RICH »