Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Motor Controller front panel control suggestions?  (Read 8665 times)

Motor Controller front panel control suggestions?
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
I am building a new motor controller box and I am looking for suggestions for what front panel controls, buttons, meters etc would be important to have for use with mach3

I have a nice rack mount aluminum box large enough to hold the internals and I know for sure I am putting a power switch and E-stop buttons on the front. I have been considering either a joystick for X & Y axis or a 6 button arraignment for X,Y & Z axis's.

Being new to mach3 and CNC in general what other buttons would be important to have on the front panel? is there anything that is simply a must have?

I plan to build a custom pendant later. But I don't mind duplicating functions.

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Controller front panel control suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:15 AM »
Well, a couple things you haven't mentioned that I use on my machine are coolant and vacuum. It's also a good idea to leave yourself a couple extra switches or buttons for future ideas.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:34:20 AM »
Heres some pics, one is the panel on my mill and the other is on the lathe.
Buttons on mill from top are
Spindle Disable       Drawbar                    Control On
Flood                    Spindle toggle           Optional Stop
Ref axis                 G0 Z10                     Go to Zeros
Start                    Feedhold                   Stop

FRO                                                    SRO
X/Y/Z/A MPG Select (rotary switch )        MPG Velocity/MPGStep0.01mm/MPGStep0.1mm/MPGStep1mm(rotary switch)

Buttons on Lathe

Spindle Disable                                 Spindle Load meter
Start                      Feedhold            Reference axis
FRO +                    FRO RESET         FRO -
MPG Z Select          Turret Index       MPG Velocity mode
MPG X Select                                  MPG Step mode

Control On   Hydraulics On  Hydraulics Off   Coolant motor On, Coolant motor Off

Hood
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:36:52 AM by Hood »
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »
Well, a couple things you haven't mentioned that I use on my machine are coolant and vacuum. It's also a good idea to leave yourself a couple extra switches or buttons for future ideas.

I never thought of putting a spindle control and Vacuum buttons on the front. good idea! My mill will be used for PCB milling and light rack panel engraving and small holes so I probably wont need a coolant but I was planning on putting some Solidstate relays inside for spindle control and vacuum control under software control but I could easily add 2 extras with front panel controls. great idea!

@Hood
 wow nice mill control! love that keyboard! Thanks for the suggestions. I guess i need to learn a bit more to understand what half those buttons would be for. But thanks for the tips It gives me direction to research. One thing i see that I love on the bottom picture is a meter that says spindle load! Ohh i love that idea. My spindle motor is a dremel tool and I could easily add a current meter and a speed control on the front panel.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »
Have to ask where you got those keyboards with trackballs built in? I like!!! :'(
Nice setup

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
Have to ask where you got those keyboards with trackballs built in? I like!!! :'(
Nice setup

I bought a load of them from eBay and sold them here for the price I paid plus shipping.
They are IP65  which makes them ideal for machine use :) Dont use the trackball much as I use Touch screens  but occasionally it is handy.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »

I never thought of putting a spindle control and Vacuum buttons on the front. good idea! My mill will be used for PCB milling and light rack panel engraving and small holes so I probably wont need a coolant but I was planning on putting some Solidstate relays inside for spindle control and vacuum control under software control but I could easily add 2 extras with front panel controls. great idea!

@Hood
 wow nice mill control! love that keyboard! Thanks for the suggestions. I guess i need to learn a bit more to understand what half those buttons would be for. But thanks for the tips It gives me direction to research. One thing i see that I love on the bottom picture is a meter that says spindle load! Ohh i love that idea. My spindle motor is a dremel tool and I could easily add a current meter and a speed control on the front panel.

Is it really that simple, put a ammeter on the spindle motor? what if its 3 phase?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:01 AM »
"WHat if it is 3 phase?"

IIRC you just put a meter on one of the phases.
Unless there is a real  problem they all draw about the same current.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
what is "feedhold" and "drawbar" ??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:36:18 AM »
what is "feedhold" and "drawbar" ??

FeedHold is is exactly the same as FeedHold on the Mach screenset. When running code if you wish to halt at any stage you press FeedHold. If you press Stop whilst an axis is in motion you will lose position.

DrawBar is for the hydraulic drawbar on my mill which releases the collet holder.
Hood