Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:06:45 AM

Author Topic: Dual function for MPG?  (Read 6357 times)

Offline pjd

•  7 7
    • View Profile
Dual function for MPG?
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the MPG can also be used as a Feedrate Override?  I am hoping to optimise on the inputs I have available on a new controller and want to implement a Feedrate Override knob.  Since I have an MPG wheel, and since this is used only for manual positioning, and not used when a program is running, it would be really cool if it's function could be switched from MPG jog to F/R Override.  Does anyone have any ideas on if or how this could be accomplished?

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
Re: Dual function for MPG?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »
Good call, I like the idea, I'd also be keen to know if it can be done.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
It has already been done I believe Jeff Birt has the Plugin to do it but I don't think it is free(;-)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »
SHould be possible from a BRAIN as well. Let us know if you want to try it I may have time to work on it.

Offline pjd

•  7 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »
Thanks for your replies.   
Yes I am very keen to try it, but I have absolutely no experience with working with a BRAIN (not even sure I have one!) but willing to try anything once!  Thanks for your offer, and if you can I really would appreciate it.  I know time is a valuable commodity so if you can't find the time I am quite happy to do the work if you can give me a direction and some hints and pointers along the way.
Cheers.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
OK how are you using your mpg now its it hooked directly to the LPT port? is it MPG0 ,1,2 ? Do you have selector switches for its use?

Offline pjd

•  7 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
I am using it through Greg's Smoothstepper board, coming in on Port3 as MPG1.  I have my own FPGA a little further downline from Gregs in which I can enable or disable the MPG signals depending on the mode (lock it out when in Auto).  This mode signal also comes back to Port 2 input pin to select MPG jog mode.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »
So you are familar with mach(;-) well basically you take the mpg counts and use a divisor and apply the numer to the FRO dro. So when the count goes up the FRO goes up and if the count goes down the FRO goes down.

Offline pjd

•  7 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
Well, sort of familiar ....Can set up OEM codes to inputs and played a little with basic Macros, but unfortunately that is about it.  With this I can see your point, that is very clever, and it does sound quite easy in principle, but if we were to go with a macro then it would have to be triggered  (I don't know how a brain would handle it!). 

I do have one spare input pin, so if I couple that to an edge trigger on the MPG so as to pulse the spare input on each transition, that could call the macro to update the FRO.  I'll get on to it and see I can come up with.   

BTW, what is the best way to trigger a Macro from an input transition??

Cheers

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
The macropump is simple but slow, Brains are much faster but not as simple.