Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:23:56 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and 4th Axis  (Read 57156 times)

Re: Mach 3 and 4th Axis
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
Rich
It says that for all the Code files i try but i will send you it within the hour
jim

Jim, I think you may be misunderstanding how the Indexer Wizards work. The Indexer Wizards allows you to specify what you want to do and then it creates the gcode file to run in Mach3. The only time you would load a gcode file into the Indexer Wizards is to make changes to gcode that was generated by the Indexer Wizards.

If you haven't already done so, please read the manual (available by clicking Help from the main menu). If you would like I can call you and we can discuss this. I can even connect to your machine and show you how to use the Indexer Wizards. Send me a private email if you would like to proceed with either of these options.
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
Rich
I see what you mean now and i was wondering about the manual as the one that downloaded with it was just for installing the program let me have another look.
Where are you country i mean
Jim
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Rich
I see what you mean now and i was wondering about the manual as the one that downloaded with it was just for installing the program let me have another look.
Where are you country i mean
Jim

I'm in North Carolina in the US.
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
Ok i have now tried it and i see how you wrap a g-code aropund something but i am still haveing the same problem where it is wrapping around the cylinder in the wrong way i will send you the code to your email from the pictures in here you will see what i mean about wrapping the wrong way. I want it to wrap so the width of the letter is wrapping around the cylinder.
It is obviously something that is set up wrong in Mach but i cant see what
Jim

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
Jim, are you sure you have your work oriented properly? The A-axis of the cylinder is parallel with the machine X-axis. So if you look at the X Y Z drawing, it will wrap along the Y-axis. If you want your text to wrap lengthwise around the cylinder then it must be drawn with the text height as X and the text length as Y. (Rotated 90 deg from normal)
Al
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »
Hi Guys
After much playing around and finding out how to reorientate vectors I have finally sorted it out, You are all correct as I thought you were i just couldnt suss it out in my head I knew it was something simple. So I have to look at the drawing in the cam program as if it was the job and orientate (which now i know how to do ) the text etc. so that it is the way I want it to appear on the item.
I tried it late last night and finally got it working.
thanks for the tips lads and the patience Greolt you have all been great.
Now to master Rich,s Indexer Wizzard going to start reading the manual on that it looks really good and easy.
Jim

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 03:34:41 AM »
Jim

I have been away from the computer for a day or so.  Glad to see you are starting to get a handle on the "Wrapping" idea.

CNCWrapper has a pretty good help file.

Here is a screen grab of the Design Size Calculator which may be helpful to grasp wrapping layout and direction.

Greg
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:48 PM »
How do I get mach3 to rotate A axis in degrees. When I set my rotary table at 0 and MDI in A180 for a test, the table rotates 6 full revotutions and then stops at about 80° more. It looks like it is moving in a linier 180". Don't know. What do I have to configure to make it rotate in degrees when programming A axis?

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
You need to calibrate the steps per unit for the A axis.   This should be the number of steps that Mach must output for one degree of axis travel.

There is no black magic about it.  When gcode calls a movement for the A axis of ten units, then Mach puts out the steps needed to move ten units.  Whatever you have set in "steps per unit"

Check "A-axis is Angular" in  General Config.   Despite popular opinion, this does only one thing.  When changing from G20 to G21 or vice versa, the axis output will remain unchanged.  That's all it does.

Under "Toolpath Config" you can check "Use Radius for Feedrate" if you wish to use the rotary axis feedrate compensation.  I find it works well.

Check "A-Rotations Enabled" if you want the toolpath display to show the rotary toolpath.  That is all this setting effects.  Only toolpath display.  And set which axis the rotary is aligned with, to make the toolpath display correctly.

Greolt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:00:51 AM by Greolt »
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »
Thanks, but Greolt correct me if I am wrong. I have nema 57 stepper (small motor) It is 1.8° and I used the following formular to tabulate the steps in the X Y and Z axis  1.8 deg/step; 200 step/rev; 16 Pulse/step; 3200 Pulse/rev; 1 Multiplier; 5.08 threads/in;
1 thread start; .19685 in/rev; Calculation = 16256 Steps/inch.  This worked perfect when making test cuts. Now I am stumped on what to use for steps/rev I have a timing belt from the stepper gear to the chuck drive with a 72 ratio. How does this all equate in?
I played around with numbers of 40 - 55 steps and the chuck moved very close when I MDI G0 A180 but I could not get it to move exact with any of these inputs. Am I missing the formula by a few points? What is the exact number to be used. Thanks for your help.

Martyondrums