Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:46:06 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and 4th Axis  (Read 57168 times)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 and 4th Axis
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
WHAT IF you were to do a swapaxis(A,Y) then A thinks it is Y.

AND do an axis correction formula on Y based on the Radius in the Radius correction DRO to convert the Y linear Moves into an ANGULAR move.

Would this be a  4th axis  wrapper function that would be usefull ??

As I said there are many ways to do it.  It would be possible.  I would not call it useful.

If you send Y axis pulse signals to the A axis, then A now has Y motor tuning settings.  My A axis would stall at the first rapid move.

And one of Mach's most useful rotary axis features would not work.  Rotary axis feedrate compensation.

If you want  to look for ways to do this then start by opening the gcode in notebook and "find and replace" all instances of "Y" with "A"

Of course you must also deal with scaling and direction issues.   

I just find CNCWrapper to be worth the $20.  Same reason I use an electronic calculator.  Sure I can do all my math on paper but I just find it easier to use a tool.

Jim

You have probably made what is the most common error when setting up your rotary axis.  Wrong direction of rotation.

Set it according to the "Right Hand Rule".  See pics below.

Greg

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
Just thought I would ask, I have seen it run that way and it looked simple enough. It ran just like you were working with xyz.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Just thought I would ask, I have seen it run that way and it looked simple enough. It ran just like you were working with xyz.

There are three things to do with a XYZ toolpath to effectively "Wrap" it around a rotary axis.

First is to change the relevant axis designations,

One way is as you have described, swap axis signal output.  As I said above there are other considerations when doing this.  They can be taken care of also, if you want to do a bit more fiddling.

Another way is you can use a text editor to swap axis names.  Also as described above.

There will be many other ways I can not think of right now.

Second thing is the output must be scaled to be correct on your given circumference.

This also can be done a myriad of ways.  

From scaling the original artwork before toolpath generation. to using Mach's scale axis feature, to going through the code with a calculator and scaling each position. (Yuck)

Adjust the axis steps per unit setting etc. etc. etc.  Choose your poison.  ;D

Thirdly the direction of output must be taken into account.

Many will simply set the rotary axis to run in the "other than conventional" direction.  Nothing wrong with that, you are the operator and can run it any way you wish.

I prefer to stay with convention, but that is just me.  :)

As I said above, I find a tool like CNCWrapper to be a great little utility.  A couple of clicks and all is taken care of.

Greg
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »

There are three things to do with a XYZ toolpath to effectively "Wrap" it around a rotary axis.

First is to change the relevant axis designations,

One way is as you have described, swap axis signal output.  As I said above there are other considerations when doing this.  They can be taken care of also, if you want to do a bit more fiddling.

Another way is you can use a text editor to swap axis names.  Also as described above.

There will be many other ways I can not think of right now.

Second thing is the output must be scaled to be correct on your given circumference.

This also can be done a myriad of ways. 

From scaling the original artwork before toolpath generation. to using Mach's scale axis feature, to going through the code with a calculator and scaling each position. (Yuck)

Adjust the axis steps per unit setting etc. etc. etc.  Choose your poison.  ;D

Thirdly the direction of output must be taken into account.

Many will simply set the rotary axis to run in the "other than conventional" direction.  Nothing wrong with that, you are the operator and can run it any way you wish.

I prefer to stay with convention, but that is just me.  :)

As I said above, I find a tool like CNCWrapper to be a great little utility.  A couple of clicks and all is taken care of.

Greg

Another program you may want to look at is the Indexer Wizards. This will take all of the above into account including calculating the correct feed rates. It also does much, much more then just wrapping. You may download a fully functional demo from my website:

http://wizardsbyrich.yolasite.com/

The program will run full featured for seven days. After that if you like it you will have to buy a license ($100).

In full disclosure, if you haven't already figured it out, I am the author of the Indexer Wizards.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »
Greg
I had thought that the CNCwrapper would have taken care of the orientation of the (Letter in my case) and how it is positioned on the wraparound on the cylinder.
I know it is a simple solution but these are often the hardest to find, Just one thing that might be the cause when in Mach in the setup "the green light being on means the axis is imobilised. correct?"
I thought i had tried all combinations but obviously not.
in CNC wrapper i have also used the X axis with A axis and the Y axis with A and set them the same in Mach3.
I suppose i need to keep playing  :)
I thought it would be so easy but nothing worthwhile ever is.
Jim
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:13 AM »
Rich
I will download your program today and see if i can get any joy from that one. I love these programs that dont cost the earth and give you a decent play time before buying. So here's hoping but i dont see why CNC wrapper cant do it or should i say I dont see how I cant get it to work.
Jim
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
Greg I should have said I will look at the RH rule solution also. it's got to be simple
jim
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:24 AM »
Rich
I will download your program today and see if i can get any joy from that one. I love these programs that dont cost the earth and give you a decent play time before buying. So here's hoping but i dont see why CNC wrapper cant do it or should i say I dont see how I cant get it to work.
Jim

Don't misunderstand me. CNC Wrapper is a good program and worth what it costs. I think my way of wrapping is a little more complete. However, the real power of the Indexer Wzards is how much more it can do besides wrapping and how easy it is to make changes. Try it. I'm sure you will like it.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
I had thought that the CNCwrapper would have taken care of the orientation of the (Letter in my case) and how it is positioned on the wraparound on the cylinder.

Here is am example.  Simple lettering wrapped with CNCWrapper.

Orientation correct, positioned how I intended, no problems.  All in few seconds.

Greg
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »
There is something i am geting wrong and i cant see it