Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:57:19 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and 4th Axis  (Read 57160 times)

Re: Mach 3 and 4th Axis
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:36:30 AM »
OK
How is this done then and how is the code created. Must i use a special program or do it manually.
I have not seen anything on this before in a post but then again I have never tried it and never really looked.
Jim
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »
Gerolt
So regarding the G2 & G3. These were created using a V-carve program so i would have thought that if it worked on the flat it would work on the curve. I am not questioning your comment just curious as to why that wont work?
Jim

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 05:17:29 AM »
How is this done then and how is the code created. Must i use a special program or do it manually.

There are all sorts of CAM programs that will produce 4th axis code.  Most of them cost a lot of money. Mastercam, VisuallMill, Surfcam, to name a few.

The poor man's way is to take a XYZ toolpath and "WRAP" it around the rotary axis.

This can be done in more ways than you can skin a cat.

One of the easiest ways is to use a program called CNCWrapper,

http://www.cncwrapper.com/

I can attest that this cheap little program works extremely well.

However you mentioned that you have a V-carve program.  If that was "Vcarve Pro"  from Vectric, then this program has a wrapping post processor included.

G2 and G3 commands do not operate on a rotary axis.  They are not supposed to. There are ways to cheat and get around this but they are hacks.

Nobody has ever been able to describe to me where it would be an advantage to do so.

Greg

EDIT: 
I forgot to mention that DeskProto is a very capable 4th axis CAM program that is offering special pricing to hobby users.   249 Euros

I am very tempted to buy this myself.  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:25:44 AM by Greolt »
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
Greolt
Thanks I will have a play about with cncwrapper and let you know how I get on. What can i do with the G2&3? I am playing about with Artcam at the moment as it does V-Carve but i cant see anywhere init that does an A-axis i will look at the manual just incase.
Deskproto looks good and not too expensive like some might invest in that sometime soon if i think it will do all i want.
Jim

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
Greolt
Thanks I will have a play about with cncwrapper and let you know how I get on. What can i do with the G2&3? I am playing about with Artcam at the moment as it does V-Carve but i cant see anywhere init that does an A-axis i will look at the manual just incase.
Deskproto looks good and not too expensive like some might invest in that sometime soon if i think it will do all i want.
Jim

I know nothing of artcam, but with Vectric you can use a "non arc" post processor.  I would imagine artcam is the same.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:35 PM »
Greolt,
This is really showing my ignorance :D. what would be an example of an non arc postprocessor. I presume this is selected as i would when i go to post process the job.
Jim

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 10:57:08 PM »
As I said I have no experience with artcam.

However when saving the toolpath there should be an opportunity to select the post processor.

Look for a Mach one that does not have the word arc in the description.

I would do a very simple cut file consisting of a circle.  Then save the toolpath and look at it in notepad.

It will be obvious if it contains arcs or segments.

Greg
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
Greolt
Yes you are correct i have a choice i will see what Mach processors done have Arc if any and try that. Bought CNCwrapper last night need to look at it with a code created as you describe.
Jim

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:46 PM »
WHAT IF you were to do a swapaxis(A,Y) then A thinks it is Y.

AND do an axis correction formula on Y based on the Radius in the Radius correction DRO to convert the Y linear Moves into an ANGULAR move.

Would this be a  4th axis  wrapper function that would be usefull ??
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:58:54 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Greolt,
Here is the code and the screen capture all is working ok i think. The only problem is that the M is curving the wrong way around the circumference i have tried playing with the Axis but cant get it the right way.
Any suggestions.
Jim