Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 03:53:04 AM

Author Topic: Brand new to Mach with a Kx3, config questions  (Read 2853 times)

Brand new to Mach with a Kx3, config questions
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:30:44 PM »
Hey, I just got a Kx3, and I am trying to get it running right. Few questions:
1. To get it running in inch mode, I changed the units param in the xml file from 1 (the scales on the machine are in mm) to 0.0393700787 . Is this correct? it seems so.
2. I changed the sample rate from 25khz to 65khz, and it said that I would need to recalibrate etc. Is that a fact? how do I do that?
3. Is there a good "getting started with Mach" file? It seems that all the information is in the heads of the forum members.
4. What do I need to do to get Gibbscam or Mastercam talking to mach? Will the gcode just work? are there special things I have to do?
5. I am thinking of building a laser-line break tool offset detector. Have other people done this with success?
6. How do I default coolant flow to always be a manual param? I hate hitting a limit switch than having to deal with coolant spraying everywhere.

Oh, and one more thing. I am used to Bridgeports and other big open machnes. I have never worked with a semi-enlclosed one. I like to run a clean shop, but I have no idea how to clean a semi enclosed machine. What do I need?

Thanks, sorry for so many questions.
-Clive

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new to Mach with a Kx3, config questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »
1. Just set the units in CONFIG>Select Native Units dialog
2. Depends on your steps per unit for an axis: 25000 hz / 4000 ( lets say stepper 200 and 10 micro steps and 2:1 ratio = 200x10x2=4000)
    then 25000/4000= 6.5 ....6.5 x 60=350 units per minute max rate at that kernel and that is realy fast!
    So do you need to go to 65000 hz? probably not
    Have a look at the Mach3 CNC Controller Software Installation an Cofiguration Manual ( sect 5 )
2A. You should check your actual axis movement which includes acceleration

3.Depends on what you what you are meaning. You can open a Gcode file and run the mill, but that would be like driving a strange car
   with your eyes closed. So start reading the manual.  Post questions as they accur, main thing is to get the mill setup properly and then dummy run some prgrams, and then do some simple stuff AT SLOW SPEEDS. Just a learning curve you must go thru.

4. If there is a Mach3 post processor file for those programs then the gcode produced should work fine. There are folks in here that use Mastercam, don't know about the other program.

5.Somebody else will probably chime in / provide suggestions  on that one for your.

6.Can use the M7 & M8 codes in the program file. Also setup inputs / ouputs to control something.  A lot of folks have added buttons etc to accomplish that and will leave it to them to reply.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
Setting the native units actually didn't do anything! it was very surprising. It just changed the DROs from MM to something like, micrometers.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »
Go to CONFIG>MOTOR TUNING and input  the proper steps per, velocity, acceleration for your motors.
RICH