Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:58:15 AM

Author Topic: Advice for Servo and Controller for this radial Drill Machine  (Read 2519 times)

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Hi,
I need advice from you guys for converting the Radial Drill Machine to CNC...  As i have no experience with Servos..and especially converting this machine is a big job for me..and it bad experience will get my carrier down... But i will take the risk with the help of you guys..
I figured out the length of BED= 1800mm x 1600mm
Also the Weight of the bed it has to carry = 2000Kg

I checked that the Motor at the Top of the Column is 3 Phase 2 KW AC motor.. and it can raise the whole ARM along with the Heavy spindle with 70IPM ...I have seen this.. About Diameter: 2 inch ACME screw get the whole Arm Load up and down very easily..

Should 2.2KW AC servos at all 3-axis will work or enough for me?.. I have not to raise the Arm up and down... I have just to move the spindle up/down..The Whole Spindle lateral movement (X-axis) and the Bed as a Y-axis..

Best Regards for help...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for Servo and Controller for this radial Drill Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
Looks like a nice project :)
What I found was the best way to work out the size of servos required was to get the torque needed to move the axis from a standstill. That is easy enough to do, just mount a 2m flat bar to the ballscrew at the centre of the bar, then use weights or a spring balance to measure the weight required to start the axis, you can then work out the Nm required. Get a motor with a continuous torque of that or slightly more  and you should be fine.
Reason I  mount the bar by the centre is so the weight of the bar is balanced thus not giving false readings and obviously you could use a shorter bar and just adjust the calculations accordingly.
Hood

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Re: Advice for Servo and Controller for this radial Drill Machine
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
This is a very Nice suggestion Hood... For this i would have to complete the bed first and then phisically measure the torque... Thanks for posting.