Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:21:48 AM

Author Topic: Setting Inch or Metric -- GCode only????  (Read 4706 times)

Setting Inch or Metric -- GCode only????
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »
Yes, I have scoured the docs, yes I have searched here. In severe frustration here.

Where do I set MachTurn to operate in Inch or Metric units? Or does it have to read it from a G70 or G71 ?

Ramsey

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Inch or Metric -- GCode only????
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
You could put a G20 or G21 ( for mm) into the Iniatialization String found in pulldown CONFIG>General config.
Also you can create an initialization macro.....see Appendix "C" / page 57 in the Threading on the Lathe manual wihch can be found
in members docs.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
You could put a G20 or G21 ( for mm) into the Iniatialization String found in pulldown CONFIG>General config.
Also you can create an initialization macro.....see Appendix "C" / page 57 in the Threading on the Lathe manual wihch can be found
in members docs.

Rich,

Thanks for the reply, but you are kidding me right? Are you saying there is no Radio-button pair for setting Inch or Metric?

Little wonder I am having so much trouble wading through this. I understand this is very powerful software but the user interface is left greatly wanting. As a programmer of some 30 years experience and a tech writer of 6 more, I think I am eminently qualified to comment. It is a pity it is so difficult to get around. I shall be spending my money elsewhere.

Thanks for this and the other reply.

You can delete this account for me if you like.

Ramsey

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:22 AM »
No matter how hard you try you just can't please everybody  ;D ;D ;D

Tweakie.

PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »
Ramsey,
Yes there sure are a lot of settings, check boxes, etc for set up. Mach is very configurable and that makes it hard  the first time user
to grasp it all. As a tech writer you should know just how hard it can be to write a users manual which addresses so manny topics and satisfies
the needs of such a varied level of readers for interelated topics associated with CNC and almost unlimited machine setups.
Let us not forget that there is interfacing of mechanical, electronics, computer, sofware which all works in harmony to control the machine.

Spend your money wherever you wish and hope you find something for Mach's price with it's capability and support.
I will comment that it dosen't exist!  ;)

BTW, you asked, we quickly repsonded, and if you had a different attitude you would have been up and running by now.
It could of been that simple. Should you change your mind we and thousands of other users are here for you.  :)

RICH 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
Well said RICH. Whilst I think I understand Ramsey's frustration I have to agree that if he thinks he can find a better controller for the money he's going to be sadly disapointed. Like many other folks I'm sure, I've tried just about every similarly priced or free controller out there and yes that includes EMC and IMHO none of them come close to Mach. Yes the standard screens are a bit messy but as we know, you can make your own and yes the documentation is not the best but that is more than made up for by this forum.

Ian
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
It's on the settings tab in Mach3, lower right side. As a machinist of twenty years experience I feel qualified to say that it wasn't hard to get to grips with. ;)
Or you could put g20 / g21 in your initialisation string. Or you could write it into your individual programs. Plenty of options there.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
Just spotted this is for Turn, not Mill - very surprising if there wasn't a simple mm/inch button. Is there a screen set going about that has one?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
Is there a screen set going about that has one?

Someday! Don't know when, but, seems they are getting along with mill, so maybe turn will get it's turn.  :D  >:D
There was a thread which asked what the new turn screens should be like some time ago. 

RICH