Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 01:26:36 AM

Author Topic: Must be doing something wrong?  (Read 3283 times)

Must be doing something wrong?
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
I have a couple of the Pokeys55, and they seem fantatic value and incredibly clever little things and are lovely and tiny in size.
I am trying to use them and Mach to switch some relays via darlington transistor IC's.
There are 12 circuits to switch in total. 8 work fine.
I cannot get the other 4 to switch? I have used a multimeter and cannot get the Pokeys to output on any other pins (even though they are set-up exactly the same in the control panel) - am I missing something here?
After some issues with pin 4 (I think - from looking at the paperwork) I have therefore not used pin 4 nor 13.
I have 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9 all switching fine.
Cannot get any others to output 3v nor to switch. Even tried the other 2 Pokeys just in case I had a faulty one - am I missing something here - is there a limit I have not read about, or am I doing something wrong? Have I something else to set in Mach.
Been working on it for 11 hours now, and getting rather frustrated!!
 :(

Phil.
Re: Must be doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
I WAS doing something wrong - the Config screen within Mach had the ULED outputs set 1-10.
Changed it and it works lovely.
Now just to figure the single input I need?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:55:12 AM »
Phil,

With the plugin, you can pick TWO seperate ranges for both INPUTs and OUTPUTs, so you can skip some pins between your inputs or output ranges, and use them for what ever. But what ever you decide, once you pick a range, then that ouput or input has to go across how ever many pins and they are all in that range you picked I or O.

scott
fun times
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:21:15 AM »
Scott,

Many thanks for that - starting to make sense.
Why is there always such a big beaming smile when something works and switches as it should - press the button, and get a childish grin?

I am now about to start the inputs - really wanted 5 ADC's, but could manage with 4 if I had to, and 1 digital.
Will it work with all 5 ADC's on 43-47 in Mach. I thought I read somewhere that only 4 work (but not sure where now). I actually had the ADC's reading on a potentiometer in testing, but struggled with the digital input - will try the range numbers, but any other suggestions appreciated.

Phil.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »
No it currently only works with 4 (that start at the 1st register of the second range of inputs, on the old serial modbus), for some reason  (and I did try and add the 5th to the old system), but it crashes mach, I suspect that is why Art only did the 4, I suspect that he didnt want to chase down why adding one more would crash it.

Another option is I could write to 5 in the new "Serial plugin Modbus", but..........   I would have to do some (non-trivial), rewrite of the Analog/modbus code and then all the users would have to then switch over to the new way from something that may currently be workng for them, (i.e. spindle ovr).

So, I just left it alone at 4 ana in.

scott
fun times