Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Help! Traning needed  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Hard_Worker1

•  2 2
  • E=MC2
    • View Profile
Help! Traning needed
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum and I am a novice at CNC, I have been wanting to learn CNC for a very long time but I never got around to it so last week I decided this had to change so I got my self a fully ready to go CMC machine from www.marchantdice.com the CNC machine I brought works with MACH3 and I got a set up file with it to set up the "ports and pin's"
so the machine is ready to go I have tested the machine and everything seems to be working all the axis's move freely and the steppers move in sync, also I know how to use CAD software more precisely "Alibre Design" because I have made a few parts I would like to cut, the problem I've got is that this is the extent of my knowledge and I have no idea how to turn my files in to G-code or get them set up for the CNC machine so I was hoping that someone could teach me.

I live in East London and I don't mind travelling any ware in the U.K to learn CNC but I would prefer if someone in London could teach me.

I am willing to pay up to £200 as nothing in this life is free so feel free to get back to me if your up for the challenge.

Thank you.
Re: Help! Training needed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
Most CAD programs require a CAM program to take the model file and convert it to G-code. A major one we use at work is mastercam. I know Lazycam is available for free on the mach website in the downloads section, but I have not played with it myself. I use Solidworks in my shop to do my modeling, and then either Solidcam or mastercam to generate my g-code. Mach 3 also has a few built in wizards that can generate code for simpiler functions.

Offline Hard_Worker1

•  2 2
  • E=MC2
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Traning needed
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
Hi thanks for the quick reply, the CAM program I am using is PowerMill which I am told is pretty versatile but I am willing to get any program that is needed.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »
Would be nice if you could find someone with experience as it would shorten your learning curve.
If that is not the case, then you can start by playing around with the wizards.
Between LazyCam ( say use for just getting a odd contour and converting it to Gcode - free) and the MACH wizards you can do a lot.
At least you have CAD experience which is a gret asset. Need to look at the MACH manual  and at least read through it.
Have a look at the tutorials in the LazyCam and LazyTurn manuals as they provide some practical info which is rather relative.
For GCODE I would recommend Peter Smid CNC Programming Handbook as it contains / covers the spectrum  of Gcode understanding.

No real short cut to it all and the learning curve is never ending.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
I looked over the Powercam website. It appears they have many types of CAM products. Which are you mainly using? Most of them appear to be of a high enough quality that I would feel fine using them.

I quick google search found this, maybe they can get you started.
http://www.architecture.yale.edu/dmonline/Tutorials/robot/Powermill-3axis.pdf
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
Hi thanks for the quick reply, the CAM program I am using is PowerMill which I am told is pretty versatile but I am willing to get any program that is needed.

Some suggestions for Cam software - Sheetcam($175.00 US) and also the Vectric product line. Both will import DXF, I am also relatively new at CNC and these were fairly easy to learn on my own. The Vectric lines offers 2d through 3d design capabilities but can get pricey for the Aspire 3D package. Both have "Evaluation" software. Take a look and have fun.

Mike